Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Magnets+graphics card=bad???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 12:43:55 PM

hello, looking for an answer to an odd modding situation.....

i have 2 asus gtx 670 dcii cards with EK waterblocks, In a greedy move by EK, they've made the mounting as such that you can't reuse the backplate.....and personally i think their CKQ backplate sucks harry ballz!!!

ok question time......i have some lil magnets that fit just on top of the screwheads that mount the block on the back of the card....and it just so happens that the backplate mounting nuts are steel!!!

please tell me if you have exp with this or are just venturing a guess......

will the magnets F with the function of the gpu at all???

has anyone tried something similar???

Hmmmm... Columbus took a chance, right???
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 1:58:37 PM

The only hardware in a computer that magnets could affect is the hard drive (and floppy drive, if you have one).

Casey
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:05:39 PM

badtaylorx said:
hello, looking for an answer to an odd modding situation.....

i have 2 asus gtx 670 dcii cards with EK waterblocks, In a greedy move by EK, they've made the mounting as such that you can't reuse the backplate.....and personally i think their CKQ backplate sucks harry ballz!!!

ok question time......i have some lil magnets that fit just on top of the screwheads that mount the block on the back of the card....and it just so happens that the backplate mounting nuts are steel!!!

please tell me if you have exp with this or are just venturing a guess......

will the magnets F with the function of the gpu at all???

has anyone tried something similar???

Hmmmm... Columbus took a chance, right???

I would question whether the magnets would hold the back plate with sufficient force to insure good thermal contact with the graphics chips. Also, heat does affect the strength of magnets over time, another consideration.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:09:29 PM

Incorrect.

Although most builders and modders have a good amount of tech knowledge, their knowledge of basic electronics can be limited or nonexistent.

Electrical impulses are affected by magnetism. Power supplies use devices called inductors to store voltage in the form of an RF field around them. They are basically electro magnets on your circuit board and are 180 degree out of phase with capacitors, which make them excellent filters to work in conjunction with Caps to turn AC in to clean DC.

Adding magnetic fields to something as complicated as a GPU could have nasty effects, especially if you’re putting them anywhere near the power inputs on the card. It could combine with an existing induced field and change the voltage values of the power your feeding the card… or it could do nothing.

How expensive is your GPU?

Feel like betting that amount of money?
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:11:41 PM

If it falls off and shorts your mobo, it's not going to be a good day.

The magnets could interfere with the operation of the card (particularly it would mess with inductors), but probably wouldn't cause any lasting damage.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 2:43:42 PM

good input guys......

A...just into the looks of backplate....the thermal benefits of this particular backplate are near nil.....

B.... no, im not willing to wager 800 dollars

looks like i may find a different way of mounting them

Score
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 3:38:40 PM

Hey what case is that? Nice and clean by the way, impressed :-)
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 4:15:19 PM

Best answer selected by badtaylorx.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 4:16:17 PM

I would be willing to eat my dinner off that graphics card. Though you probably wouldn't be willing for me to...
Score
!