Your question

Not sure about the components of this new system. Advice pls

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Components
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2013 5:12:14 PM

So, I just got rid of an idea to upgrade my old desktop, as the upgrade won't satisfy me a lot.

During the last 2 days i was trying to pick components for my new built system, suitable for playing games and some photo/video processing.

Here are the components that i picked:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K (3,5GHz, L3 Cache, Socket 1155)
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Socket 1155
RAM: DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz CL9 1.5V
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5
ATX: CoolerMaster HAF912 Plus Midi-Tower
Cooling: Zalman CNPS 9900A LED Cooler
PSU: Seasonic M12II Bronze 650 650W 80 Plus Bronze
HD: Samsung 830 SSD
and then some HD for storage, mouse, keyboard, DVD-RW drive

First i would like to hear from you what you think of this system, is it decent?
Will there be any bottleneck problems?
Maybe there are some components that you would suggest to avoid buying or recommend something better for the price?

Then I have a few questions:
1. I'm not sure if all this stuff will fit into the ATX midi tower. Will it be enough space for all components? Seems like CoolerMaster HAF912 has good ventilation but will it be too loud?
2. GPU, will it fit well into Mobo?
3. RAM, i can get 1600Mhz RAM a little bit cheaper, is it worth having 1866Mhz ram over 1600Mhz? Is 2x8GB better than 4x4GB? I'll need to overclock to have 1866Mhz as i understand...
4. What thermal paste would you recommend for the coolest performance?
5. Is the PSU enough?
6. with this setup, how much could i overclock the CPU and still have acceptable temperatures and overall system stability?

Well, sorry for so many questions, your time for answering will be much appreciated!

More about : components system advice pls

February 2, 2013 5:22:04 PM

It will fit, there's plenty of room for all the components with that case, it's not loud.
The gpu fits in the motherboard, you can fit two of those in that motherboard.
Just stay with your current ram, dual channel is better, no point in getting higher speeds, the performance difference is null.
You don't need thermal paste, the cooler has it.
Yes, the psu is of quality and will do even for two 660 ti.
It depends on the cooler, but about 4.4 ish 4.5 should be possible.
February 2, 2013 6:08:01 PM

thanks.
Other opinions are more than welcome
Related resources
February 2, 2013 6:26:30 PM

Just a little suggestion, you could swap the 3770K for a 3550K.

Gaming performance is pretty much the same.
February 2, 2013 7:18:13 PM

gamingboy said:
Just a little suggestion, you could swap the 3770K for a 3550K.

Gaming performance is pretty much the same.

Did you suggest this to save some money and still have CPU of similar power or some other reason?
February 2, 2013 7:38:22 PM

CamSpy said:
Did you suggest this to save some money and still have CPU of similar power or some other reason?

It is to save some money. And yeah they are pretty much the same in gaming performance. The 3770k does have a big advantage in productivity software, however.
February 2, 2013 8:14:23 PM

It all depends on the editing stuff, if it's intensive, i'd get the i7, if it's just a light one, i'd get the i5-3570K, for gaming there's no difference in performance between the two.
February 3, 2013 5:22:04 AM

Thanks for answers.

I just found that for almost the same price I can get the SeaSonic G-650 (SSR-650RM Active PFC) 650W 80 Plus Gold PSU, but it has no reviews or rating, or at least I can't find...

SeaSonic X-650 (SS-650KM3 Active PFC) 650W 80 Plus Gold PSU - this one seems to be very good, many reviews

For a little bit less i could get this:
Fortron FSP AURUM CM GOLD 650W 90+ (80 PLUS GOLD)/ Modular/ ATX v2.3/ EPS v2.92/ Silent Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm FAN/ Active PFC/ Granite-Touch Finish

What do you say?

80 plus Gold vs. Bronze.... Gold is more power efficient.

Mobo: i am thinking of switching to Asus P8Z77-V PRO, instead of the ASRock, seems like Asus is better for OC and i had very good experience with Asus products in the past

Maybe someone could say something about the Zalman cooler?
February 3, 2013 2:12:14 PM

To say more, I think i will be switching the case to Cooler Master HAF XM, as it is USB3 compatible and seems that reviews say better words about it
February 3, 2013 2:29:07 PM

CamSpy said:
Thanks for answers.

I just found that for almost the same price I can get the SeaSonic G-650 (SSR-650RM Active PFC) 650W 80 Plus Gold PSU, but it has no reviews or rating, or at least I can't find...

SeaSonic X-650 (SS-650KM3 Active PFC) 650W 80 Plus Gold PSU - this one seems to be very good, many reviews

Mobo: i am thinking of switching to Asus P8Z77-V PRO, instead of the ASRock, seems like Asus is better for OC and i had very good experience with Asus products in the past

There is not that much real world difference between bronze and gold rating. If the bronze is significantly cheaper, then go for it.
As far as PSU's go, Seasonic is THE best. No question about it.

I'm not sure if the Asus board is better for OCing, but Asus does have very good quality.

CamSpy said:
To say more, I think i will be switching the case to Cooler Master HAF XM, as it is USB3 compatible and seems that reviews say better words about it

Cooler Master HAF series is one of the better known ones. The XM seems like a good case, go for it if it seems like a good choice for you.

February 3, 2013 3:43:37 PM

Thanks!
I'm still reading a lot about various things and compatibility issues, so i might change my mind haha
February 4, 2013 12:44:05 AM

CamSpy said:
Thanks!
I'm still reading a lot about various things and compatibility issues, so i might change my mind haha

Yes, always check that the parts fit together before buying.

Also, if you are patient enough, you could wait till the new graphics cards and Intel CPU's start rolling in. This is what I would do, but it's completely up to you. If you aren't gonna make any significant upgrades in the near future (maybe 1 - 2 years), I'd advice you to wait for the new generation of parts. New AMD GPU's are supposedly starting to roll in soon, in spring. New Intel's come in summer if I remember correctly.
February 4, 2013 9:30:12 AM

OK, I decided to go with the following setup:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K (3,5GHz, L3 Cache, Socket 1155)
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO Socket 1155
RAM: DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz CL9 1.5V
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5
ATX: Cooler Master HAF XM
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: SeaSonic X-650 SS-650KM3 80 Plus Gold

I decided to take a big good cooler, to have 24/7 overclocked CPU
February 4, 2013 10:26:54 AM

country of origin. need os+monitor?

February 4, 2013 10:35:47 AM

European Union, is that enough? :) 
Yes, i'll have OS, software and monitors.

If you ask, maybe you know, if i can use some old monitor with VGA only connection as a second monitor that will run through integrated intel video? Sometimes i do some "paperwork" that i need to open a few excel tables on two monitors, so if main monitor will be powered by Nvidia card, old one could still get used through the integrated video...
February 4, 2013 10:52:05 PM

yes that would work.

ur build looks good.

February 4, 2013 11:04:21 PM

CamSpy said:
Thanks for answers.

I have the SSR-550RM and I can say that it's a very nice PSU. They're fairly new, I don't think the 650 watt version was even out when I got my 550RM in November, that's likely why you can't find any reviews. Try looking up my PSU, it should give you a good idea of what to expect. Of course, just about anything SeaSonic is good, so I would decide more on price.
February 5, 2013 12:33:11 AM

+1 to wolfkrauzer :D 

February 5, 2013 5:57:21 AM

Thank you guys, just that question about 2 monitors left unanswerwed:
"maybe you know, if i can use some old monitor with VGA only connection as a second monitor that will run through integrated intel video? Sometimes i do some "paperwork" that i need to open a few excel tables on two monitors, so if main monitor will be powered by Nvidia card, old one could still get used through the integrated video..."
February 5, 2013 10:42:19 PM

whynot get a second flatscreen. makes no sense to use 1 lcd+crt

February 5, 2013 10:42:45 PM

yes u can use 1vga+1dvi or 1vga+1hdmi should work in theory

!