Computer won't post

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hello,

My computer was on while I was in another room. I came back in to see a blue screen up. I didn't check what it said. I turned it off. When i tried to turn it back on it started up for 5 to 10 seconds and then restarted. It then stays on but doesn't post.

I have tried:
checking the connections of all the wires
unplugging all non essentials
replacing the motherboard
replacing the power supply
using only 1 stick of ram

What should I try next? I was thinking maybe a new video card? Any thoughts on the problem would be helpful.

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to come clean, I tried resetting the CMOS and it still didn't work. Then i went through the troubleshoot checklist here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

With one stick of ram in the system now starts up. I tried it before but I must have not seated the ram properly or something when I was testing each stick. I guess it's just a lesson to really put the effort into the troubleshoot guide. I could have saved myself a lot of headaches.

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Alright, I guess I celebrated too early. Both sticks of ram work but only in the DIMM_B side (the one closer to the front of the case.) It'll start up with 1 stick of either ram in either slot or both sticks in the b side, but if I stick either stick in the DIMM_A side it won't boot. Any ideas?