Sign in with
Your question

HDMI Cable not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2012 2:07:40 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro C850 - 10W laptop and a 26inch Bush TV. I just bought a HMDI cable today and connected it to both ends and my tv is just saying "no signal". Could someone help me please? I have no idea what to do.

More about : hdmi cable working

a c 358 U Graphics card
a b x TV
December 18, 2012 2:58:17 PM

Did you go into the HDTV's menu to change the video source? It should be changed to the same source as indicated on the port you are connecting the HDMI cable to. Like HDMI 1 or HDMI 2.

If you have properly selected the correct video source, but you are still getting a signal from the laptop (which I assume is on) then it could be the HDMI cable itself or the ports that is the issue. Or both if you are really unlucky. If your HDTV has multiple HDMI inputs, then try another input port and of course select the correct video source in the HDTV's menu.

If you can borrow an HDMI cable, or bring your laptop over to a friend's place then you can determine if the cable is bad or the laptop's HDMI output port is bad.

Regardless you need to figure out if the cable is bad, the HDTV's input HDMI port(s) is bad, or the laptops HDMI output is bad. Or any combination of the three.
m
l
December 18, 2012 3:09:01 PM

Thanks for replying,
Yes it is on the correct video source and I only got the cable today..
I only have one outport and ive used it at my bfs and its worked fine.
Maybe its my tv? or i got a shitty cable, which is weird cos its the same one as his.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b x TV
December 18, 2012 3:56:14 PM

Connect the cable, right click on your desktop an goto "resolution". Do you see the TV as a second monitor there? If not, you might need to activate the hdmi port of your laptop with a function key (laptop / both / hdmi).
m
l
December 18, 2012 4:42:54 PM

noidea_77 said:
Connect the cable, right click on your desktop an goto "resolution". Do you see the TV as a second monitor there? If not, you might need to activate the hdmi port of your laptop with a function key (laptop / both / hdmi).

There is another picture that has the number "2" on it, so im assuming that should be it. I clicked on f4 (because thats what it is on my laptop and clicked on the LCD + CRT Extended Desktop, but my tv still says no signal..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2012 5:14:36 PM

look in the manual for the TV and see what the specs are for the resolution - make sure your laptop resolution is set to the same, or less
m
l
!