Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hi! I'm new to this.

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 2, 2013 6:53:12 PM

Case: CORSAIR Graphite 600T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5 GeForce
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Being that this will be my first build, I am unaware of what fits, and what doesn't. I would very much appreciate if someone could give me a few pointers, or tell me if what I am planning to buy fits, or if it is no good. Also, which power supply should I buy? Along with a CD/DVD reader/burner. My budget is around 2,000$. So yeah.

More about : question

February 2, 2013 6:54:14 PM

What are the main uses for your PC?
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:02:47 PM

Mainly gaming.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 7:11:06 PM

Don't get an i7 for gaming. An i5 3570 will be exactly the same and slightly better in a few cases.

Use the saved money to get a better GPU.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:23:28 PM

tiny voices said:
Don't get an i7 for gaming. An i5 3570 will be exactly the same and slightly better in a few cases.

Use the saved money to get a better GPU.



Oh, so i5 would run the same as i7? I mean, I can possibly PUSH to get a better GPU, as I stated, I am unaware of what fits, and what would be good, or better. It'll be my first RIG, I know it won't be PERFECT, but I want something decent, ya'know?
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:24:46 PM

I think this is something good to start with..


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B4JA
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B4JA/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B4JA/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.73 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($226.99 @ Mac Mall)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.62 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1866.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 16:26 EST-0500)
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:27:50 PM

^ Microcenter cpu and motherboard is in store only deals.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:29:22 PM

MmmH2O said:
Oh, so i5 would run the same as i7? I mean, I can possibly PUSH to get a better GPU, as I stated, I am unaware of what fits, and what would be good, or better. It'll be my first RIG, I know it won't be PERFECT, but I want something decent, ya'know?

An i5 is best for gaming,buying an i7 is a waste of money that could be used to get a better graphics card or other parts for your rig.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:32:03 PM

Also note that 16gb of ram is massive overkill. 8gb is twice as much as any game right now will use so 8gb is the sweet spot.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:36:18 PM

This is what I would suggest for under $2000. (No OS)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.73 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($212.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($380.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($380.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower New 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($120.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1784.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 16:26 EST-0500)

This thing will be a beast for quite some time. Don't go with watercooling. Too much hassle plus you can achieve similar performance with air. 16GB RAM is an overkill. So is the motherboard.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:38:30 PM

Get these instead

i5 3570k

Then get a HDD for storage.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 7:44:07 PM

tiny voices said:
Don't get an i7 for gaming. An i5 3570 will be exactly the same and slightly better in a few cases.

Use the saved money to get a better GPU.


cball1311 said:
This is what I would suggest for under $2000. (No OS)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.73 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($212.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($380.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($380.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower New 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($120.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1784.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 16:26 EST-0500)

This thing will be a beast for quite some time. Don't go with watercooling. Too much hassle plus you can achieve similar performance with air. 16GB RAM is an overkill. So is the motherboard.


Pretty good build.
Although, I would switch the loud reference cooler graphics cards for something not so loud :p 
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 9:48:53 PM

If this is his first build i think he would be set with a asrock z77 extreme 4 hyper212 evo pushpull 3570k 8gb low profile corsair vengance 1600mhz cl9 a 500w seasonic modular psu a gtx 670 with aftermarket cooler like a power edition or a 7950 and overclock it a 1tb westerndigital or barracuda and a 120gb ssd..I mean come on guys 670 sli and a d14 for a first time builder?
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 11:33:29 PM

robthatguyx said:
If this is his first build i think he would be set with a asrock z77 extreme 4 hyper212 evo pushpull 3570k 8gb low profile corsair vengance 1600mhz cl9 a 500w seasonic modular psu a gtx 670 with aftermarket cooler like a power edition or a 7950 and overclock it a 1tb westerndigital or barracuda and a 120gb ssd..I mean come on guys 670 sli and a d14 for a first time builder?


Well, considering he did have an h100 in his original post and he wants to budget $2000 on a build. That h100 would be a heck of a lot harder to install than a d14. Just because he is a first time builder doesn't mean we should give him a sub $1000 rig if he is willing to spend. Give him what he wants, a beast.
m
0
l
!