Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a new PC. Help!

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 2, 2013 7:31:21 PM

Ok, I'm looking into building a new PC. I've done this in the past, but this one is different. This is more of a budget computer. I will be gaming and doing limited video editing on it. I want to be able to play any game on at least medium settings. My max budget is about $600. (I can probably go to about $650, that gives you a little more room). So can you guys give me a list of good parts that will be within my budget? Please help!

More about : building

February 2, 2013 8:45:52 PM

Are you going to need a operating system?
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 8:46:24 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($133.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $664.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 17:46 EST-0500)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2013 8:49:51 PM

Heres a good build; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B5Vc


CPU

AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz 8-Core Processor $158.97 FREE $158.97 Outlet PC Buy
CPU Cooler

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $33.24 FREE $33.24 Amazon Buy
Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $59.99 $59.99 Microcenter Buy
Memory

PNY Optima 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $14.99 FREE $14.99 Amazon Buy
Storage

Samsung Spinpoint F3 EG 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.88 $59.88 Outlet PC Buy

A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $44.98 $44.98 Outlet PC Buy
Video Card

HIS Radeon HD 6670 2GB Video Card $69.98 $69.98 Outlet PC Buy
Case

Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case $34.90 FREE $34.90 Amazon Buy
Power Supply

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX12V Power Supply $44.99 -$10.00 FREE $34.99 Newegg Buy
$10.00 mail-in rebate
Optical Drive

Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $16.98 $16.98 Outlet PC Buy
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 $89.98 Outlet PC Buy
Base Total: $628.88
Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
Total: $618.88
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2013 8:52:20 PM

TheN00bBuilder said:
Heres a good build; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B5Vc


CPU

AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz 8-Core Processor $158.97 FREE $158.97 Outlet PC Buy
CPU Cooler

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $33.24 FREE $33.24 Amazon Buy
Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $59.99 $59.99 Microcenter Buy
Memory

PNY Optima 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $14.99 FREE $14.99 Amazon Buy
Storage

Samsung Spinpoint F3 EG 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.88 $59.88 Outlet PC Buy

A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $44.98 $44.98 Outlet PC Buy
Video Card

HIS Radeon HD 6670 2GB Video Card $69.98 $69.98 Outlet PC Buy
Case

Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case $34.90 FREE $34.90 Amazon Buy
Power Supply

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX12V Power Supply $44.99 -$10.00 FREE $34.99 Newegg Buy
$10.00 mail-in rebate
Optical Drive

Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $16.98 $16.98 Outlet PC Buy
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 $89.98 Outlet PC Buy
Base Total: $628.88
Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
Total: $618.88


This is super unbalanced.
slow single channel RAM
cheap low quality motherboard
SSD to small to use
unreliable awful PSU
GPU that won't play games past low settings.

For $600 you can usually get high settings out of a build.
The build posted above is great!
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 8:59:24 PM

TheN00bBuilder said:
Heres a good build; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B5Vc


CPU

AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz 8-Core Processor $158.97 FREE $158.97 Outlet PC Buy
CPU Cooler

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $33.24 FREE $33.24 Amazon Buy
Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $59.99 $59.99 Microcenter Buy
Memory

PNY Optima 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $14.99 FREE $14.99 Amazon Buy
Storage

Samsung Spinpoint F3 EG 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.88 $59.88 Outlet PC Buy

A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $44.98 $44.98 Outlet PC Buy
Video Card

HIS Radeon HD 6670 2GB Video Card $69.98 $69.98 Outlet PC Buy
Case

Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case $34.90 FREE $34.90 Amazon Buy
Power Supply

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX12V Power Supply $44.99 -$10.00 FREE $34.99 Newegg Buy
$10.00 mail-in rebate
Optical Drive

Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $16.98 $16.98 Outlet PC Buy
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 $89.98 Outlet PC Buy
Base Total: $628.88
Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
Total: $618.88


The fx 6300 beats the fx 8120 in gaming.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 9:08:17 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($133.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $638.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 18:07 EST-0500)
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 11:40:10 PM

Would it be more wise to just upgrade my current gaming system? Current Build:

CPU: AMD FX 6100 at 3.3 Ghz
Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE 2.0
RAM: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX
Video Card: Asus HD 7770 2GB
Power Supply: Corsair 600W

I don't need to list the case and optical drive, that is ok.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 11:49:35 PM

Do you think I would be fine just sticking with my current build?

CPU: AMD FX 6100 at 3.3 Ghz
Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE 2.0
RAM: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX
Video Card: Asus HD 7770 2GB
Power Supply: Corsair 600W
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2013 11:56:53 PM

Yep. I'd get more RAM and a bigger PSU.
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 12:01:57 AM

If you are going to spend any money on that system. Buy a nice beefy graphics card. You shouldn't need a new psu 600w is plenty unless you plan on Adding more then one graphics card. and 8 gigs of Ram is OK. If you are doing a lot of video editing and stuff. adding more RAM might not hurt.
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 12:06:43 AM

I edit sometimes. Nothing extreme and nothing that I can't wait an extra 10 minutes to render. If I was going to buy a new Graphics Card what would you recommend? No more than $200. I ran Crysis 3's beta on High today with no lag. (Very High is the highest settings, therefore I ran it just under the highest settings).
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 12:19:48 AM

Step it up to an HD 7870 (it sits around the $200 price point) or a HD 7850 if you want to be safe with your budget. Again, a little more RAM might not hurt, but that's totally optional.

Do you OC? (CPU, GPU, both or neither?)
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 12:24:37 AM

I will probably go with a 7870. It looks like it's good, and it has a good price. Thanks
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 12:28:25 AM

Last question. Would you recommend a GTX 460 over a 7770?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 12:32:06 AM

tabascosauz said:
Step it up to an HD 7870 (it sits around the $200 price point) or a HD 7850 if you want to be safe with your budget. Again, a little more RAM might not hurt, but that's totally optional.

Do you OC? (CPU, GPU, both or neither?)



I don't overclock. (I'm more than open to it, I'm just really not sure how to do it). But my GPU is factory overclocked.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2013 3:07:38 AM

AnakinGuy12 said:
Last question. Would you recommend a GTX 460 over a 7770?


No. the gtx460 will use 3x as much power as the 7770 and not be much better.
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 3:14:13 AM

tiny voices said:
No. the gtx460 will use 3x as much power as the 7770 and not be much better.


Ok, I have a friend that want's my 7770. I could trade my 7770 for his 460. But I stick with what I have. I may even wait until the 8000 series comes out. Thanks for the responses. :D 
m
0
l
!