Status
Not open for further replies.

Grosskumtor

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I am lost in how much memory I need for my new Radeon HD 7850. I do gaming such as the Total War Series and AC3 as well as 3D programs like Autocad and I use dual monitors. The price difference between 1GB and 2GB is about $40 and I just want to know do I need it? I see no point in buying the more expensive card unless the 2GB will be utilized.

Please help me

Solution
Do you game on both monitors? Or do you game on one monitor? What resolution is your gaming monitor(s)? If you are trying to game on both screens at once then definitely the 2gb card. If you game only on one 1080p screen then a 1gb card can get you through as long as you don't use much anti-aliasing. If you like a lot of AA then get the 2gb card. If you are gaming on less than 1080p single screen, then a 1gb should get you through. I've seen $20 differences - for that money I think the 2gb card is worth not worrying about a vram bottleneck.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Well, how hardcore are you on autocad?
Does it need to be precise for work? Or are you just doing hobby like stuff on it?
If you are hardcore on it, then you are using the wrong card, you need a specialized card like one from the ATI Firepro or NVIDIA Quadro family.

If ur just hobbying around then you will be fine, and more ram would be better. The games you are playing should be fine with either one, but more would be better.

larkspur

Distinguished
Do you game on both monitors? Or do you game on one monitor? What resolution is your gaming monitor(s)? If you are trying to game on both screens at once then definitely the 2gb card. If you game only on one 1080p screen then a 1gb card can get you through as long as you don't use much anti-aliasing. If you like a lot of AA then get the 2gb card. If you are gaming on less than 1080p single screen, then a 1gb should get you through. I've seen $20 differences - for that money I think the 2gb card is worth not worrying about a vram bottleneck.

Solution

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Personally I would get the 2GB. The more VRAM the better with what your doing.
More and more games seem to be pushing past the 1GB boundry with bells and whistles turned on. 2GB might make you a bit more future proof =D

+1 - well-said. Future-proofing is the reason - when even today's games can make use of more than a gig, it just doesn't make sense to stick at 1GB going forward.

Grosskumtor

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I am an engineer so 3D programs must operate very precisely. I game on a 1080p monitor and use the second for internet and music. I am going to spend the money and get the 2GB one as you have said its worth it for the future. I just didnt know if I could even be close to using 1GB but if you guys think I could then its worth it to have the 2GB.

Thanks for the replys

larkspur

Distinguished
Good choice. Once you install your card, if you are curious about your GPU's vram usage, you can use GPU-Z to see what your card is using. If you use your card for a while, I'm sure you'll find a time when it's using more than 1gb and you'll be happy with your decision. Think of Rome 2.... : )

Status
Not open for further replies.