Sign in with
Your question

MSI GX 670 Performance issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2012 5:48:47 PM

Hello, I recently purchased an MSI GTX 670 with a slight overclock I think, and I'm pretty sure I'm not reaching the performance that I should be with this card.

Firstly, the card seems to get hotter than it should, hovering at around 78C when playing games, causing it to underclock itself to cool down. Now I'm not sure if this is causing all of the performance problems, but it's definetly underclocking it obviously resulting in a loss of performance, and possibly a shorter life-span.

Secondly, the card sometimes gets stuck at anywhere between 600Mhz and 750Mhz, forcing me to go off of the game I'm playing and reload it, especially annoying if I'm in the middle of a game on BF3 :fou:  I can't seem to find a way to reproduce this problem, so I can't really give a screenshot of MSI afterburner or another GPU monitoring program

And lastly, this may be linked to the heat problem, but my core clock and gpu usage go CRAAAAZAY after playing for 5 or so minutes, this, I can give a screenshot of:

If you need to know anything else just ask!

Hope to hear off of someone soon,
-Jay
December 18, 2012 5:52:39 PM

The core clock in the above picture isn't as bad as it usually is by the way, it suddenly decides to go a lot better than usual :p fft:

And the above picture is from around 5 minutes of gameplay on BF3.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 6:19:16 PM

I see nothing wrong with your screen shot. Your boost is a little low but I guess you are not overclocking if you are worried about heat at stock. Something I would reccoment is to up the power limit to 122% if its a stock card or 11% if factory overclocked. This allows a bigger power usage to keep the card clock higher for longer. I would do this even if you are not overclocking. Also try a run with your fan at 100% duty to see if it can keep the card cool enough to stop your issue assuming it is heat related.

Thent
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 6:55:05 PM

78C isn't bad for that kind of cooling setup from my (limited) experience. My EVGA 670 has that type of cooler and I run 80C in BF3 in a well-ventilated case (bottom intake directly feeding the GPU fan).
December 18, 2012 7:19:20 PM

Thanks for the answers! But I don't think I want to run my fan at full speed constantly, it drive me and everyone else in my house mad! Also, I know 78C isn't melting point or anything, but I heard it underclocks the GPU making it run slower, keeping the GPU fan on full isn't really a solution I'd like to use for long because of the loud noise. Sorry if I don't seem clear or repeat things, I'm tired and in a bit of a rush to get work done!

One more thing, I watched a video of BF3 on ultra with my card, 80fps whilst recording on Operation Metro, I get 40-55 without recording :/ 
December 18, 2012 7:21:23 PM

I'm going to be getting a new case I hope, but I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on a case, I'd prefer a case that has good room for cable management and good cooling for quite cheap, and maybe the option to install water cooling if I decide to stop worrying about it leaking :D 

Could anyone recommend me a decent case for under £80? Preferably around the £50-60 mark!
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 7:51:31 PM

Hi,
First let me explain how the new NVidia Kepler cards work using GPU BOOST.

When you are NOT playing a game, the GPU frequency sits quite low (300MHz or higher, I forget).

When you start a game it jumps up to say 1000MHz. Now there is an additional boost it can use up to about 1050MHz say if:
a) it needs it (demanding game), and
b) the temperature limit isn't too high.

So we're talking about a 5% boost if required. You won't see huge drops. The IS a critical temperature point where the GPU frequency plummets if the fan is at 100% and still can't keep the card cool but that's unlikely you'd hit that.

FAN NOISE:
Your graphics card fan should be automatic unless you change the values. Let it do its own thing.

CASE COOLING:
The fans are more important than the case. Here's some tips though:
1) have one or two 120mm case fans on the FRONT of your case sucking air in
2) have one or two... fans on the top/rear of your case sucking air out.
3) see your motherboard manual for what fan control options you have

*Unless you have a good CPU Fan, much of your noise may be the CPU fan. There are great inexpensive ones like this:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-...

Antec also has good cases, some have two fans built in (use the lowest speed). It took me a while to figure out that the entire front piece unclips for easy access.

Make sure to get a case with front USB3 if your motherboard supports it.

SUMMARY:
- sort out case cooling (especially front intake fans)
- understand GPU BOOST for Kepler (google it)
- graphics card fan set to auto
- upgrade CPU HSF if using a stock version
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 8:08:36 PM

I like my 500R but there are lots of good cases around your price (might have to find on sale). Won't help with your loud GPU - it doesn't with mine :)  The one thing I'd change if I could go back to March is to get a 670 with a dual-fan open cooler since the case is plenty cool.

Can get a quiet case in the Fractal Define R4.
December 18, 2012 8:09:09 PM

photonboy said:
Hi,
First let me explain how the new NVidia Kepler cards work using GPU BOOST.

When you are NOT playing a game, the GPU frequency sits quite low (300MHz or higher, I forget).

When you start a game it jumps up to say 1000MHz. Now there is an additional boost it can use up to about 1050MHz say if:
a) it needs it (demanding game), and
b) the temperature limit isn't too high.

So we're talking about a 5% boost if required. You won't see huge drops. The IS a critical temperature point where the GPU frequency plummets if the fan is at 100% and still can't keep the card cool but that's unlikely you'd hit that.

FAN NOISE:
Your graphics card fan should be automatic unless you change the values. Let it do its own thing.

CASE COOLING:
The fans are more important than the case. Here's some tips though:
1) have one or two 120mm case fans on the FRONT of your case sucking air in
2) have one or two... fans on the top/rear of your case sucking air out.
3) see your motherboard manual for what fan control options you have

*Unless you have a good CPU Fan, much of your noise may be the CPU fan. There are great inexpensive ones like this:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-...

Antec also has good cases, some have two fans built in (use the lowest speed). It took me a while to figure out that the entire front piece unclips for easy access.

Make sure to get a case with front USB3 if your motherboard supports it.

SUMMARY:
- sort out case cooling (especially front intake fans)
- understand GPU BOOST for Kepler (google it)
- graphics card fan set to auto
- upgrade CPU HSF if using a stock version

Thanks for your response! I am getting a case like I mentioned, I currently have only one fan blowing out, and that's on the back, I have 2 side and 1 front sucking in, but My PSU is top mounted and the thick jacketed wires on the PSU clip the fans on the side so I keep them off incase the wire jams them altogether, that's why I wanted a case with decent space for cables, preferably some space behind the mobo to tuck them in and improve airflow. With my graphics card, the fan sets itself to a noticeable and rather irritating level when I play a game longer than 10 minutes. I had a GTX 550 Ti before this, and there was no overheating problems, so I'm pretty sure it's not the CPU. But, when I get the case, hopefully I won't have the overheating problems and it should run a tad better. If the card still gets hot, should I consider sending it off and getting another one?
December 18, 2012 8:12:48 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
I like my 500R but there are lots of good cases around your price (might have to find on sale). Won't help with your loud GPU - it doesn't with mine :)  The one thing I'd change if I could go back to March is to get a 670 with a dual-fan open cooler since the case is plenty cool.

Can get a quiet case in the Fractal Define R4.

Well, there was two seperate MSI Gpu's to choose from, one had 2 cooling fans and the one I chose had one, but is slightly less overclocked than the one with two. The reasons I chose this one I have now are that I didn't really think I needed two fans for it because I wasn't expecting it to get that hot and the dual cooling fan 670 was slightly bigger than 2 slots, covering up my
PCI-E x1 for when I wanted to get a dedicated recording card. Like I mentioned in the other post, if I get a new case with better air intake/out take and it's still bad I might try and get a new card.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 8:16:15 PM

Like I said, I have a 670 with practically the same cooler style and the case is not going to help with temps. I have a 140mm fan blowing cool outside air directly at the GPU intake and still hit 80C with 100% fan. The sound is annoying but that's a product of the reference-style cooler.

If you don't want to change the GPU then I'd get a case that dampens the noise like a Define R4 or something similar.

I know I won't buy a reference design again...
December 19, 2012 8:45:21 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Like I said, I have a 670 with practically the same cooler style and the case is not going to help with temps. I have a 140mm fan blowing cool outside air directly at the GPU intake and still hit 80C with 100% fan. The sound is annoying but that's a product of the reference-style cooler.

If you don't want to change the GPU then I'd get a case that dampens the noise like a Define R4 or something similar.

I know I won't buy a reference design again...

If the problem still persists, I might trade it in and get the power edition, the only thing I'm thinking of is the fact that sneaky MSI overvolt it. If I were to trade it in, which other card would you suggest? Preferably a card that actually covers only 2 slots like it says, my old 550 covered 2 and a half slots, being awkward as I wanted to fit a recording card in my PCI-e x1!
December 19, 2012 9:33:16 PM

Well that's the last time I change my power level. Heard a weird alien-like noise in my pc, looked on AfterBurner, and my power level was something like 423713873248194. I didn't get a screenshot as I was scared for my pc so I rebooted it. I did like you said, changed it to something around 111%, clicked apply, it was fine for like 5 minutes and it happened :cry: 
!