Broken PSU, could it break my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchell

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hey guys, i recently built a new PC of my own, and everything was going great for about three weeks, until a couple of days ago after a few hours gaming, the pc would randomly turn of and automatically restart, no BSOD, nothing. after looking into this i was guessing it could of been a defective stick of ram so i removed one stick, and started up my pc, and ran both prime95 and furmark at the same time for 30 minutes with no shutdown, so i presumed it was a defective stick, so i jumped onto my games. after about an hour of gaming my pc shutdown again, only this time, the LED light would turn on, signaling the pc was trying to start up, then i would hear a click, and it would turn straight back off, before it got to the splash screen, and i didnt even hear any of the fans starting up. it would continue to try to restart its self until i turned off the plug. after removing the PSU i did the test cosair reccomends which is using a paper clip (i used a pair of tweezers instead) and putting them into the green and black wire tops in the 24 pin and seeing if the fan switches on, which it didn't. i am sending the PSU back monday, but had a couple of questions, 1) this does seem like a PSU failure correct? its my first build so im very new to errors in components. and my second question is if this is a PSU failer, it would not fry the rest of my system when it died would it? i am so worried about losing the whole of my new build, because of a crappy power supply. i also had it plugged into a surge protector so that should prevent any damage correct? if anyone could help it would be much appreciated! thank you!
my build:
Ram: 1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.5v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with Corsair.
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor £155
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard £80
Graphics Card: MSI HD 7870 Black Knight OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [R7870-2GD5T/OC] £180
HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive £40
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Midi Tower Window Gaming Case £40
PSU:600W Corsair Builder Series 600CX 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply £50
DVD burner: Samsung SH-118AB/BEBE Black 18x SATA DVD ROM - OEM £10

Status
Not open for further replies.