No signals to monitor with new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevero

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hello, I've been searching this forum (and many others) for about a week now and I can't find an answer that fixes my problem.

So let me tell you my "story". Six months ago I bought a computer off tiger direct, or should I say I bought the parts so I could build it myself. So here's the list of what I ordered:

-CPU: Intel Core i7-950 3.06Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
-HD : Seagate 3TB Serial ATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-
-PSU:Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 850W PSU
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz 4x4GB
-Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 PCIe SLI Ready
-Mobo:ASUS P6X58-E PRO Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard

Now the computer ran fine for about a month and a half. Then, one night, when I tried booting it up as usual, I heard a weird clicking noise and it wouldn't start again. Now I had my computer that by a friend of mine who's an electrical engineer and he came to the conclusion that the PSU died. So I got an RMA, sent it back and got a new one about a month later. I install it but I still get no response from the computer. Since the motherboard was still only half lit, I assumed the motherboard was dead, so I got an RMA for the mobo and got my new one last week.

Now, for the past week I've tried everything I know about computer. I've re-installed everything at least twice, I've checked and double-checked and even triple-checked every physical connection in and out of the PC, but I can't get a signal to my displays. I know the displays work fine, because I've been using them for the last 4 months with my older PC.

I've read through a lot of forum, and I've tried things like: powering up with only 1 stick of RAM and the basics, clearing the cmos, I even tried a cold boot. Now there are a few things I'd like to know.

1st: Is it possible than when my mobo fired, everything else fried (graphic card, ram, ...)
2nd: Do you have any idea of some tests I could try.
3rd: Did you ever encounter such a problem before.

Finally, I'd just like to say (and don't take this the wrong way please :) ), that I'm really desperate. I don't usually writes in forum like these because I can normally find my answer in forum like these. But since I didn't, I would really appreciate your help. And please do tell me if I'm not posting in the right section.

Thanks a lot.

By the way, english is not my main language, so sorry if some sentences seems a bit off.

Solution
Have you tried the graphics card in a different computer? If it works in another computer then the chances are pretty good that it hasn't been damaged. If it doesn't work in another computer then you've most likely found the defective component.

Have you borrowed and tried a different graphics card in your computer? If this works then the motherboard should be fine. If it doesn't work then more troubleshooting will be required.
Have you tried the graphics card in a different computer? If it works in another computer then the chances are pretty good that it hasn't been damaged. If it doesn't work in another computer then you've most likely found the defective component.

Have you borrowed and tried a different graphics card in your computer? If this works then the motherboard should be fine. If it doesn't work then more troubleshooting will be required.

Solution
take the mb out of the case and with just the cpu..no ram..no video card will it power on and give you some cmos beep codes??
if it beeps at you then put one stick of ram in..the beep code should change now to no video beep. power off and then plug a video card in and see if it comes on. if you dont get any cmos beep codes..then you could have a dead mb or cpu..cpu could have been nailed when the power supply died. i would check on the mb and cpu that there no bent pins. i would see if your friend or a local tech had a post it card. it will tell you if the mb is posting if there no beeps and where it stopping in it post.

nevero

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
OK so I borrowed a graphic card from a friend and the PC's booting normally now. So I guess this means that the graphic card is fried ? Or does it mean something else? If not I'll just get an RMA.

Thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.