MSI 660ti black screens

Tazonator

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Ever since purchasing this card i have had some blackscreen issues mainly in games. The black screen will appear then say that the display driver has stopped responding. In some games the game will come back at a highly reduced fps, while others it forces it into a not responding state. I have tried every version of drivers available for the 660ti, and yes i have used driver sweeper. I found the article on here about msi overvolting the card so i rma'd my card thinking that was the problem. I recently got my 660ti back from rma and im still getting the black screen, it happens within 30 seconds of launching farcry 3. I have searched alot for a fix to this and tried alot but unable to find anything to help.

GPU: 660ti
CPU: i7 950
MOBO: evga x58 sli le

If you need any other information let me know.

Edit: while using a gtx 470 same driver versions i had no problem, so its only with the 660ti also i have noticed at the same time of the display driver/kernel mode driver error i get a gpu usage spike.

Tazonator

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Is it possible this is a mobo/PSU problem instead of vid card problem? I have a 750w thermaltake psu. The only reason i ask this is i recently installed evga precision x to have another means of checking information of the card and so far every crash has happened while the card was at 1175mv voltage where it idles at 987mv. CPUID hardware monitor doesnt register the change in voltage, it has min max and current value all steady at 0.99v. CPUID HW reads my 12v rail only varying from 12.18v to 12.11v, not sure how accurate this is because i havent checked it with a multimeter yet as i do not know how atm. I will look into that and get back to this later, if anyone has any ideas of what might be the problem in the meantime please let me know.

Tazonator

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I have the voltage control unlocked and force voltage checked, and i have it turned down. It is still going above that set voltage in both gpu-z and evga precision x.

Edit: and crashing

Edit 2: is there possibly something preventing msi afterburner from forcing this voltage?

Tazonator

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Yes even with it underclocked it still has the spike in voltage with a crash associated with it. In games like Diablo 3, Black ops 2 i can play the game for 15 minutes or so untill i get the spike and crash. Where as with Battlefield 3 and Far cry 3 i get a spike and crash within 30seconds of opening the game.

This is odd but if nothing helps I suggest that you consider an RMA, your power supply is not to blame when a power hog 470 runs without issues and neither is your board.

You could do a clean driver install and maybe it will sort things out but you have to go to setting tab in afterbuner then enable voltage control.

Tazonator

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

I have tried multiple different driver version with using driver sweeper to no avail, and i was leaning towards another rma myself. I was hoping i could troubleshoot the problems this time around but it seems like its the card again. Its just extremely upsetting to get a rma back and have the exact same problems.

Tazonator

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Ya i am currently installing Far Cry 3 on the other computer, since that game and this card create the result the fastest from what i have seen. Hopefully that will seal the deal on whether i need to rma or troubleshoot more.

SemNome Tol

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hi, i have the same trouble.... I was thinking about rma my vga. And i saw this topic.

And i would like to know if someone solve the problem. And if the author had succes with the RMA.

Thanks.