Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MSI Lightning GTX 680 vs Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2012 9:24:40 PM

Hi guys,
Just about ready to buy my gpu and finish my build.
Im set on getting a 680 but can't decide whether to get the Lightning or the SOC which retail here at pretty much the same price. So i put it to you guys which of the two is better out of the box, and then which is better for overclocking.

Best solution

January 20, 2013 10:00:29 PM

axleh93 said:
Hi guys,
Just about ready to buy my gpu and finish my build.
Im set on getting a 680 but can't decide whether to get the Lightning or the SOC which retail here at pretty much the same price. So i put it to you guys which of the two is better out of the box, and then which is better for overclocking.

According to HardOCP, the MSI Lightning overclocked 100MHZ faster than the Gigabyte Gtx 680 SOC. Therefore, I would buy the Lightning as it is smaller, quieter, faster, and a little cheaper.

In conclusion from the article I read http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/29/gigabyte_gtx_...

Our overclocking experience with the MSI GTX 680 Lightning was top of the line. MSI is one of the only companies to support voltage tweaking on the GeForce GTX 680 series of video cards. GIGABYTE does not allow for direct control over the voltages. When overclocking the MSI GTX 680 Lightning our highest stable overclock allowed us to run at 1392MHz in game. Our highest stable overclock on the GIGABYTE GTX 680 SOC Edition increased the GPU speed to 1293MHz in game, 99MHz less than the $40 less expensive MSI GTX 680 Lightning video card. The gameplay performance heavily favored the faster MSI GTX 680 Lightning in every single game.

When it comes down to whether the GIGABYTE GTX 680 SOC Edition is worth it when comparing it against the MSI GTX 680 Lightning, the answer is simply, no. It just can't stand up to the MSI Lightning video card in terms of overclocking or value.
January 31, 2013 8:38:20 AM

Best answer selected by axleh93.
Score
!