Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Where is wireless switch on a pc

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 24, 2012 10:25:18 AM

I have a second hand CYBERCOM PC with a creative 802.11g wireless network adaptor. I can't get it to see or connect to a my wireless router. Is there a switch on the PC like on my laptop. If so I can't find it.

More about : wireless switch

a c 203 F Wireless
January 24, 2012 12:50:05 PM

No, desktops don't have switches like laptops. Check to see if the device shows up in the device manager, and that the network settings have the correct gateway for the wireless router.

What OS? If Windows 7 or Vista just click on the network symbol in the system tray (lower right) and select the network and connect button, enter security passphrase. HERE is an extensive XP troubleshooting guide.
m
l
January 24, 2012 3:53:37 PM

RealBeast said:
No, desktops don't have switches like laptops. Check to see if the device shows up in the device manager, and that the network settings have the correct gateway for the wireless router.

What OS? If Windows 7 or Vista just click on the network symbol in the system tray (lower right) and select the network and connect button, enter security passphrase. HERE is an extensive XP troubleshooting guide.

Thanks for the advice. The device shows up ok in the device manager. I'm not sure about the network settings having the correct gateway for the wireless router - how do I do that?

I'm working my way through the extensive microsoft help article you sent me to see if that sorts it out.

I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks
NR
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 203 F Wireless
January 24, 2012 4:51:53 PM

Since you apparently have Windows XP and the wireless card shows up in the device manager, all you have to do is configure it to work with your router. You can use THIS guide to do an auto setup as you don't need to do any troubleshooting.

Basically, all you need to do is find your gateway address, SSID name, and security passphrase and enter that all and the router should assign you an ip address.
January 31, 2012 7:54:49 AM

Best answer selected by Nodracol.
m
l
!