Sign in with
Your question

Primary display just locked - White across top/Black across bottom

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 19, 2012 12:09:54 AM

Yeah, so here I am....or was....just typing along on FaceBook, when my primary display (which is my 52" Aquous) decided to freak out. Across the top 1/3 of the screen was mostly white with some black bars mixed in, while the bottom 2/3 of the screen was mostly black with some white mixed in.

I have a 2nd monitor hooked up to monitor temperatures during gaming, so I flipped that on to check its status. That display was totally fine. Nothing I did (turning off the TV, turning it back on, disconnecting it from video card, plugging it back in, etc) had any effect. This is the first time this has ever occurred. I'm running a Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X on the 12-10 Catalysts. I doubt the drivers caused this, since I imagine it would have happened LONG ago if that were the case. I've been running these drivers since installing the card.

Sooooo, yeah. Beginning of a card going bad? Possibly bad PCI-E port on the mobo (although that wouldn't explain the 2nd monitor working)? For now I'm just keeping an eye on it, but if it happens again.... then what? Should I be RMA'ing this card? Definitely shouldn't be doing this with a 600 dollar video card that's roughly 2 months old...I suppose the only other thing worth noting here is that I've been unable to update the BIOS on this board, though everything else seems rock solid (temps are good, no lock ups, etc)

Build specs:

AMD FX-8350 @ 5.0GHz w/ Water 2.0 Pro
32GBs DDR3-1866 Ripjaws memory
ASUS M5A99X EVO Mobo
X-Fi Xtreme audio sound card
Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X Ghz Edition
850W Antec PSU
52" Sharp Aquous
512GB OCZ SSD | 1.5TB WD | 500 GB WD | 320 GB WD
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
December 19, 2012 12:16:46 AM

Oh, and for what it's worth GPU temp has never been an issue with this card. It is not overclocked, and the most I see during any game is roughly 57 deg C, which is the absolute HIGHEST. It generally sticks between 50 and 55 deg C.
m
l
!