Sign in with
Your question

Can I use this Video Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 19, 2012 12:56:55 AM

This is my Motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=N68...

It says it supports DDr2 1066 or something like that. I have a Pci-express, and I'm just wondering if I'll be able to use a video card that has a "DDr5" or etc. (Minus The power watts). I'm not computer expert, so that's why I'm here. :D 

What do you guys think?

More about : video card

a c 85 U Graphics card
a c 143 V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 1:30:58 AM

it support pci-e 1 and cpu up to 95 watts what is the psu you got and witch card you want to put on that board ?
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:49:00 AM

I have an Orion 585D . I'm currently running the Geforce 9800gt 1gb and I would like to upgrade to the HD Radeon 6850.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 1:53:40 AM

The DDR2 part is the memory it supports, your graphics card memory speeds have nothing to do with that.
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:55:16 AM

completelyrandomname said:
The DDR2 part is the memory it supports, your graphics card memory speeds have nothing to do with that.

Based on the motherboard/psu and the fact that it's pci express... I should be fine with the HD Radeon 6850?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 1:57:30 AM

Pyratescoin said:
Based on the motherboard/psu and the fact that it's pci express... I should be fine with the HD Radeon 6850?

Assuming you have a good PSU, yes it will work. Your system could potentially become a bottleneck though.
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:59:00 AM

completelyrandomname said:
Assuming you have a good PSU, yes it will work. Your system could potentially become a bottleneck though.

A "bottleneck"? Please excuse me, I have basically know nothing when it comes these terms. lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 3:24:46 AM

Pyratescoin said:
A "bottleneck"? Please excuse me, I have basically know nothing when it comes these terms. lol

What he means is your CPU could cause the new graphics card to not run at its top performance. But it should still run better than the card you have now by a long shot. That said I do not know anything about your Orion 585D PSU it looks like a very low end PSU so I can not say if it will hold up with that graphics card or not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 8:52:27 PM

Pyratescoin said:

Like bryonhowley has explained, the CPU is a bit old so it may be holding back the new graphics card, but again you should still see considerable gains with the new graphics card. Could you take a picture of the label on your power supply or tell us how much AMPS are on the 12v rail?
m
l
December 20, 2012 1:31:22 AM

Alright, I'll be glad to get some pictures. I was also going to upgrade to a new processor as well. Probably a Phenom II X6.

Btw, I think this is what the 12V thing is.. +12V -18A (If it's not give me a heads up.)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 9:18:00 PM

18A on a SINGLE 12v rail? Check again to see if it is labelled 12v1 and 12v2 or just 12v. If it really is 18A on the 12v rail then you should upgrade it just to be safe because playing around with this stuff can kill your system.
Get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!