Sign in with
Your question

Urgent help! i have built a P4 and it doesnt start

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2002 6:21:20 PM

Please someone explain what is wrong? I have purchased different parts from different stores and built ny own Pentium 4 1800 + PcChips 930 s478 board. Also purchased In-Win case Q500 with 300W power supply ! Now when connected it doesnt even start!!! I tried connecting the power supply to the Celeron i have and it works! so its not the Power suply , what could it be? i am puzzled ... if anyone can help i would really appreciate the effort.

Also i have 2 CD ROMS 2HHD + 1 ZIP.
January 27, 2002 8:57:47 PM

Do you have LEDs?

Case fans?

All your mobo connectors on correctly?

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:
January 28, 2002 3:36:43 AM

Wrong? A PCChips motherboard!

Well, something must have shorted on the board. try switching it on with minimum numbe rof components, just the processr, power supply, memory and display card and nothing else. and add each item one by one to find out which ones offending.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Related resources
January 28, 2002 4:47:28 AM

The thing is that a power supply would have started anyway
regardless of the fact the the mobo was short or not.
I am concerned about the fact that can it be simply the problem of being certified for P4 use for the PS?
January 28, 2002 5:22:19 AM

Is your new power supply ATX 2.03 compliant?
Some P4 motherboards will not boot if the four wire 12V P4 power adaptor is not plugged in to the motherboard.

<font color=red><i>Happy Canuck</i>!</font color=red> ' :wink: '
January 28, 2002 5:29:46 AM

Is this the case you have for your new P4 system?
<A HREF="http://www.in-win.com/framecode/index.html" target="_new">http://www.in-win.com/framecode/index.html&lt;/A>
If it is then you're P4 compliant.
From reading your post it sounds like when you try to turn on your system the power supply does not turn on. Cooling fan(s) do not spin.
The easiest thing I can think of that might cause this problem would be the case power switch molex connector is incorrectly plugged in to the wrong header on the motherboard.

January 28, 2002 3:56:53 PM

This is the case i have and it does not say its P4 compliant
http://www.in-win.com/framecode/ino_q500.html

And i dont think i have 4 pin connector on this board
m930 PCchips can it be ONLY the power supply ? without any extra connections for the CPU etc can that fix the problem?
if i change the PS to a ATX12V?

This is the board
http://www.pcchips.com/product/m930lr.jpg&lt;P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by aktush on 01/28/02 02:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 28, 2002 6:56:31 PM

Using the url you posted the case you have is P4 compliant.
It says so under the case picture.
I found a picture of your motherboard on the PCchips website. Your board does not have the extra 4 wire 12 volt connector. The main power header on the board is very close to the cpu socket which makes it unnecessary for the redundant power connector.
The only thing I can suggest is check to make sure the power switch on your new case is functional and double check to make sure it is correctly plugged onto the proper header pins on the motherboard.

January 28, 2002 9:31:06 PM

And not to be redundant, but a PC-chips mobo?

No offense, but you probably shoulda visited this forum _before_ you built your system.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
January 29, 2002 4:55:59 PM

check the cpu, and memory to make sure seated. and if so replace one of them. it also might be bad mother board HAVE IT CHECK
January 30, 2002 10:00:31 PM

I think I figured out what the error was and when you take out the CPU the board and everything starts spinning, only AFTER you take out CPU. I took cpu to the computer shop nearby and they said its dead CPU. SO i am changing that.

-=I will always be against=-
January 30, 2002 10:02:05 PM

What is the likeliness of the bad CPU killing the motherboard?

-=I will always be against=-
January 30, 2002 10:29:56 PM

Might be the other way. Mb might have killed your cpu.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:
January 31, 2002 1:01:19 AM

you have a dead cpu right?

so when you put the cpu in did you connect the HSF to the mobo? with the i think it was 3 pin connector?

im a boring old fart and a crazy loon.
im also a mad alcoholic git but do that matter! :smile:
!