Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 problems with wireless adapter or access point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 24, 2012 1:02:26 PM

Hello,
New windows 7 laptops ( late 2011 ) dont want to connect to an established wireless network using WPA 2 PSK ( Netgear router on a Virgin cable modem )including one wired ethernet connection to the router on my Acer desktop and 4 wireless connections - 2 laptops and a netbook running windows 7 and a laptop on XP sp2 . 4 machines have McAfee 2011 installed and 2 use Norton 2012 . Everything worked until latest Windows 7 Laptop arrived. Its been checked out and has everything working. Router has latest firmware installed.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2012 1:38:29 PM

Does the network show up if you left click the wireless network symbol in the system tray (lower right of screen)?

If not, is the wireless card of the laptop turned on (either a switch or FN + an F key, which depends on your model laptop)?
m
l
January 31, 2012 9:29:47 AM

RealBeast said:
Does the network show up if you left click the wireless network symbol in the system tray (lower right of screen)?

If not, is the wireless card of the laptop turned on (either a switch or FN + an F key, which depends on your model laptop)?

yes the Network is visible in the tray bottom right
and yes the network card is switched on !
it runs the connecting bar / dots then says its cannot connect to my network and refers me thru a process which leads no where & round in a circle !!!!
Now the first laptop( W7) to exhibit the problem seems ok ( i reset the modem ) and the newest one is playing up instead....
while i have solved the issue here temporarily at home my daughters(W7) laptop at university digs is doing the same thing at her student address.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2012 12:54:58 PM

Sounds like a security related issue. Do you have MAC address protection on in the router? If so turn in off or enter all the MAC addresses. What encryption scheme is your router using -- AES or TKIP? Try changing that and using a fresh passphrase in the router and on the laptops.
m
l
February 1, 2012 8:05:17 AM

yes i am using MAC address protection but all the macs are registered on the router control panel ! ok can wipe and re-add I suppose and change passphrase- will try that ...............
m
l
February 8, 2012 8:31:04 AM

i reset the modem and its working again .............................intermittent problem a bit of mystery !
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2012 8:42:47 PM

Yes, as you deduced you should clear the old MAC addresses and change your security passphrase, router id and router password. Should be fixed now.
February 15, 2012 9:59:40 AM

Best answer selected by mewsingcat.
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:22:54 AM

Hello,
how can i clear my old MAC addresses....

i've got the same problem....and this is the only last hope for me:(  , thanks
m
l
September 13, 2012 9:23:24 AM

Hello,

m
l
September 13, 2012 9:30:07 AM

Hello,

m
l
!