DDR memory manufacturers

G

Hi,

I am looking to purchase some DDR memory for my system. I don't want generic no-brand junk because: I intend to buy a CL 2.5 and slightly over clock it to run at CL 2.0, so I need a brand name manufacturer that is reliable/good enough to allow me to do this. I am looking for unbuffered PC2100 DIMM but I don't rule out the possibility of PC2400 or higher (are those CL 2.0?) if the price is right. My mobo has 3 banks, but as far as I know, my AMD 760 chipset will only take registered DIMM for more than 2 banks, so I can only use 2 banks. Therefore I want a big enough unbuffered single module DIMM so that future upgrade is possible, I decided on the 512 MBytes magic number. I am undecided on which manufacturer I should pick, so I am asking your opinion(s).

Which one of these manufacturer make better memory module, rank them if you can:

Kingston
Corsair
Crucial

Side line question on Crucial/Micron: Crucial memory module = Micron memory module, right? Micron don't make memory module, only the chip, correct?

Do they make CL 2.0 memory? Should I just go with that (I imagine it would cost some more doe, is it worth it?) instead of trying to over clock the CL 2.5?

Thanks guys.

BTW, if your favorite manufacturer(s) is/are not listed above, feel free to add to the discussion about it. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about this. Thx again.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crucial memory module is not equal to Micron memory module. Crucial make their module from Micron chip. Many cheap generic also make module from Micron chip and the module is lower in quality than Crual module.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, weird, I've seen Micron modules sold separately. In fact, I have CL2 PC133 Micron RAM!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not think Micron manufacture any memory module under Micron Brand. Crucial is the brand that Micron use for their own memory modules.
Micron also sell their memory chips to other manufaturer to make their own memory module. Just like Intel sell their chipset to Motherboard manufacturer. Even a motherboard uses Intel chipset we do not consider the motherboard is made by Intel. There are a lot of module have Micron chip on them. My Corsair PC150 CL2 have Micron chip on them.

svol

Champion
If you really want to overclock your FSB to about 150(300)MHz then I advice that you take some PC2400 memory, then the memory will be good enough to run at such (and even higher) speeds. If you get PC2400 CAS2 memory it will also run at CAS2 on 150 MHz FSB without a problem.
Crucial and Corsair are good brands, I have two sticks of 256MB PC2400 CAS2 DDR RAM from Corsair on my AMD 760 chipset and they run perfect at 'Turbo' settings and CAS2.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Micron RAM is listed for sale here....
http://www.ncix.com/Canada/productlist.cfm?majorcatid=101&minorcatid=105

I have also seen the Crucial vs Micron (are they the same) question debated elsewhere. One of the people who's opinion I trust the most - based on their knowledgeable posts - believes 100% in getting Crucial memory, and that Micron is definitely not the same. While you may get perfectly fine memory from another manufacturing (even by getting generic RAM), his opinion is that if you don't want any hassles, problems, and want to tweak your machine... get Crucial.

I know he runs Crucial 2100 DDR at 2-2-2 settings (even though it is listed as 2.5-3-3) and it works fine for him and others. He also overclocks his machine, etc.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I concur that Crucial and Micron have the best memory modules on the planet. It is hard to believe that memory of that caliber could come from Idaho.

Note for the forum:

Crucial uses Micron but Micron does not = Crucial.
Crucial is a division of Micron and they use Micron memory chips. (i.e. Micron sells PC2700 where as Crucial does not. Micron also has QDR and DDRII and QDRII but Crucial does not.{No you can't buy them yet but they are in production as prototypes.})

<b>"I'll have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich." - Fletch</b> :lol: