My EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB is always hot

mark12000

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
My Evga GTX670 SC+ 4GB is always running at over 1100Mhz all the time even at idle when nothing is running and because its running at that all the time it is always HOT IN MY ROOM lol :D and running at 49°C - 53°C.

I am on the 310.70 WHQL Driver.

I really have no idea why this is happening.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
The first thing I would check is dust. If there's a lot of dust clogged in your graphics card, then you will see much higher temperatures.

Next thing is check how fast the fan is running while idle. If the fan isn't running very fast, but your graphics card is getting hot, then I would turn up the fan speed.

mark12000

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

This Build is only 5 months old so it shouldn't be clogged with dust and the graphics card is only 3 and a bit months old.
And the reason why it is running so hot is because it is running at (was always at over 1000Mhz) 966Mhz when it should be going about 300Mhz this 966Mhz is at this second with only google chrome open. See my problem now?

Here is a picture of it:
gpum.jpg

There are 2 things that could be causing your idle temps to be high.
1) multiple monitors - they don't down clock as low to prevent flickering.
2) flash videos - if you have any flash videos open, or even on a page with one, and you have hardware acceleration on, the clocks will be at full, are near full.

mark12000

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

How could I check if hardware acceleration is on? I only have one Monitor. No flash videos are open.

Hmm, and what are your temps when you are at load you can use precision I believe in a game to show the temps in the game.

Also, maybe you can try and see if the temps drop with the side panel off.

1. Is your home normally warm the ambient temperature. I'm just trying to paint a picture of what I would suggest for you.

Unfortunately, you don't actually have to open a flash video for the hardware acceleration to kick in. You only have to have a page open that has a flash video player on it, whether it be some ad, or regular video. To check, open a page with a video on it, then right click it and it'll bring up an options menu for flash. Click settings, and uncheck the hardware acceleration box.

If you don't have any browser open, then you might want to reinstall drivers, perhaps even going back to a previous versions. You might want to check to make sure you don't have it locked through misuse of Precision.

My GTX680 runs at 324MHz with nothing running (and jumps to 1137MHz when watching video).

My advice:
1. Uninstall and reinstall the video drivers and the EVGA software
2. Contact EVGA if that doesn't fix it.

HOT PC:
It's also worth pointing out that your PC will run much hotter if you have your CPU overclocked, even in idle. Not only does overclocking consume more energy but the CPU also can't enter the optimum power management profile.

mark12000

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

My home right now is warm (I am in Australia) as it is summer and hot. My temps when I am playing are (Battlefield 3) Ok all settings at Max is 61°C. Quick question is SSAO or HBAO better? Also sorry for taking so long my PnkBstr was screwing up.

Ok before I could get the readings at load I read the guys post above and turned hardware acceleration off and it put it down to about 300MHz (was at 300MHz for a few minutes) but now it is at 992MHz but was at 600MHz at one stage then 1100MHz, so I don't think it is as bad now, now it is at 46°C.

Also another question My graphixs driver "Stops Working" or Crashes or whatever when I go into task manager anyone know why? It was crashing randomly then I updated to the drivers I currently have and the only time it ever crashes or stops working is when I go into task manager.

This link explains it more for you. I'm not particular familiar with this top SSAO or HBAO but this guy seems to have a better idea of what you are talking about. http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/95161/ssao-vs-hbao-vs-hdao-whats-the-real-difference

There is a good chance that part of the issue with the cooling is your home temperature. You have enough fans within your case so airflow shouldn't be an issue. You can always buy better fans surely there are better fans then the ones that came stock. I wouldn't be terribly worried I have a feeling you aren't reaching beyond 65 or 70 C while in a full 100 percent load situation which is more then healthy for your card.

mark12000

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

OK just then when I exited Battlefield 3 now my Card is at 324MHz and 33°C! This is really confusing me one moment it's not working where it should be the next it is, got any ideas as to why?

gpunew.jpg

Your card is doing just fine. Your temps are good they are high they are just where they ought to be. Having a gaming rig in your room can increase the temperature in the room my family always says that my room tends to be the hottest in the house so I mean take it for what its worth. Also your card boosts when it needs the performance. So if you are just doing nothing idling on the desktop it will save energy and not go balls to the wall but if you are running a game it'll turn up its moxie and go to town.