Help with Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

whodu

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hello I purchased a computer for gaming approximately 8 months ago. I do know a little but not enough to know if I should get upgrades or if I am even getting good performance.

I play a wide variety of games and waned to run them on the highest settings, IE.. Battlefield 3, Guild Wars and others. I can run them on high settings but not max and get good FPS. So what whould I do with upgrades or should the computer as is be able to run these games at max with good performance.

Performance:

BF3 Maxed out: around 30 to 40 sustained FPS
Guild Wars 2 maxed out: around 20 - 25 FPS

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
i7 920 2.267 GHZ
12g of DDR3 Hyper X T1 Ram
SLI GTX 560 TI cards I believe they are 2g
Thermaltake: TR2 RX-850W Power Supply

Also I have a GTX 480 collecting dust in my closet because I don't know if the SLI GTX 560 TI are better or not. Any upgrade advise or any advice period would help me and be greatly appreciated.

let me know if I need to list any other stats

Thank you for your help.

Solution
he's already got 2 560 ti's in SLI...

the 480 is a superior card to one 560ti... but 2 560tis in sli will be better then then a 480... frankly you'd have to get a 7970 or a 670 to match your 560ti sli setup.

Which means the problem isn't your GPU setup... could be drivers... could be a lot of crapware running on the pc. About the only part of your system that makes me pause is the CPU. Its good but not great...

And guildwars 2 / Battlefield 3 are both incredibly CPU dependent. Which means it's your cpu that's the problem not the GPU in SLi. You ever try overclocking? That i7-920 should overclock up to around 4ghz... and you should see an immediate jump in performance in those games without spending a dime.

If you're set on...

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
GTX 480 if you have a low wattage psu (500W) but if you have a 750W power supply, buy the 2nd GTX 560 Ti. will get a bit higher than GTX 580 performance which in 2013 is about an Overclock GTX 660 Ti.

whodu

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Sorry the reply took a few, I had to take it out to see the sticker.

I have a Thermaltake: TR2 RX-850W
Input Voltage: 115-240V-
Input Current: 115Vac / 15A Max. 230Vac / 10A max
Frequency: 50 - 60Hz

I hope this is what you were looking for.

he's already got 2 560 ti's in SLI...

the 480 is a superior card to one 560ti... but 2 560tis in sli will be better then then a 480... frankly you'd have to get a 7970 or a 670 to match your 560ti sli setup.

Which means the problem isn't your GPU setup... could be drivers... could be a lot of crapware running on the pc. About the only part of your system that makes me pause is the CPU. Its good but not great...

And guildwars 2 / Battlefield 3 are both incredibly CPU dependent. Which means it's your cpu that's the problem not the GPU in SLi. You ever try overclocking? That i7-920 should overclock up to around 4ghz... and you should see an immediate jump in performance in those games without spending a dime.

If you're set on spending money... i'd suggest replacing the MB/CPU from that old i7 Bloomfield with an Ivy Bridge chip and board. (i5-3570k is about the sweet spot these days)

Solution

whodu

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Ok,

I was Able to overclock up to 3.5ghz, but I have not seen a gain in any games(loading times or fps).

I do not want to spend money but if I have to should I go ahead and get an i7 and is so which one.

I know you recommended a I5 but I also use my computer for production and recording music and need the extra.

I also wanted to thank all of your responses. I do not know what i am doing and i know now that I know less than what i thought. i assumed the I7 was better than the i5 and I was wrong aparently.

Just let you guys know but I am looking to spend 500 or less if I have to upgrade. I did not want to spend the amount of money I spent to get mediocre performance when I'm actually going to game, it is great and music production but I am not getting what I want for gaming.

Also a little bit more about my computer. It is in a case that has 8 fans going with good air flow, so I'm not worried about over heating.

And again thank you all for the advise and any further advice given. It is and always will be greatly appreciated.

Well i won't talk you out of spending cash if you insist. Music production is very light on the CPU, video is something else all together. But since you insist on an i7.... so be it.

I'd get...

CPU: i7-3770k
MB: Azrock z77 Extreme4

if you're close to a microcenter you can save about $100 on the CPU... otherwise you'll be paying like $440 for this upgrade.

your existing DDR3 should be fine. (how much do you have btw?)

If you're willing to back off the i7, the i5-3570k is just as fast, only difference is it doesn't have hyperthreading. Frankly... hyperthreading won't help you gaming anyway... so you can save some cash going with the i5

Status
Not open for further replies.