Sign in with
Your question

Possible Graphics (or mobo issue) video dies fans spin

December 19, 2012 7:10:11 AM

I did a search here but it couldn't fins specifics:

So I built a new tower, powered it on today and everything was great, setup is:

Win 7 64 bit
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
ZOTAC ZT-60301-10P GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
32 gigs ram
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

So the problem:

I start up a game that may be considered graphics intensive, after a few minutes video disappears and I can hear fans going VERY loudly. I cannot tell if it's just the GPU fan (I have 3 intake and 2 exhaust and a radiator) but I know that the GPU fan is the "really" loud one; if I put my finger on it the loudest sound goes away.

So I made sure to update my Nvidia drivers and have attempted to update my BIOS to Gigabyte's V F16 BIOS however on their webpage I cannot download the 64bit version (it may be PEBCAK error but for the moment I really can't find the darned file)

So I downloaded FurMark and HWMonitor. I did a full benchmark test and burn-in using Furmark and the card got up to 73C but never had a shutdown like I experience when I play games. The CPU is fine it barely scrapes 41C on one of the cores and the rest are around 36-38. The case is cool and should have more than enough airflow.

The voltage readout in HWMonitor never dip from 12v even with the FurMark test so if it's the PSU...well I doubt that it's the PSU for now but I may be wrong; I've never experienced a PSU failure.

So I really don't know what to think on this. It doesn't fail in the Burn in, it doesn't fail with anything other than the one game I've installed so far (I'm about to drop video settings a bit AND try other games)

Thanks for any leads.

EDIT: I played another game at a lower video setting (mix of medium and high) and this time I had the same video drop HOWEVER the fan wasn't spinning at all that time. I am wondering what the heck...
!