Sapphire 7850 2GB, abyssmal WoW frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twist741

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
So, I recently upgraded my Video Card and display. I was using a several-years-old GeForce 7800GT, on a monitor running 1280x1024. An extremely outdated setup, but I was able to run WoW on "Fair" settings and get ~30-40fps more or less anywhere.

I recently purchased a Sapphire 7850 2GB reference card. Nothing super spectacular, but should slay the hell out of WoW, yeah? Coupled with a 23" monitor @ 1920x1080.

When I go into WoW's video settings, it recommends Ultra on almost everything, and High on a few things. When setting everything to Ultra, I'm getting 8-12fps. So I took it a notch down to High, which is well below what WoW recognizes I could run, and my frames are sitting at about 18? Finally, I took the settings back to my old Fair, and I'm still under 50 fps.

Reading through all these threads here, it's apparent that Nvidia plays a lot nicer than AMD with WoW, but still. I'm absolutely floored.

Corsair HX750 PSU
Gigabyte 890FXA MoBo
Phenom IIx4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz per core
8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 @ 1666
Sapphire HD 7850 2GB reference
Asus VH232 23" HD display
Win7 Home Premium 64

As I finish this post, I realize that I haven't played with the 64-bit WoW client yet, could that be the root of my problem?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
When was the last time you updated your addons? Running outdated addons can easily cripple the performance.

I'd try disabling them, and if it does help, enable them 1 by 1 to find the culprit.

Twist741

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I'm going to try out the 64-bit client tomorrow after work and see what that does. I also had failed to set my graphics API to DX11, which I just did and got a boost of probably .4 fps, lol.

As to addons, just the usual - my old setup didn't allow me to run much. Bartender, DBM, Quartz, Grid + grid addons, Atlasloot, Bagnon. I might be forgetting 1 or 2, but my addons don't put much strain on the computer.

In populated areas, I'm getting 12-16, flying around an empty Elwynn forest while tweaking various settings just now gets me around 18.9. Shadows on "Fair" Multisampling at 1x, and Antriscopic down to x4, draw distance at "Good" and ground clutter density on "Fair."

I'm boggled.

Editing as I read related posts - I'm running full-screen, neither my CPU nor GPU is overclocked in any capacity.

Twist741

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Bah, all the related posts I read where folk recommend turning them off, and I didn't bother. Running with 0 addons gave me 79fps from 18. You're my personal hero and savior.

When I find the addon that's diving my frames, is that just one that I can't use - or would removal and reinstallation fix that? Curse client reports them all up to date.

Thanks again.

Twist741

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
In that case, since I pretty much need to re-do all my addons because of such a massive resolution difference, I'll just dump them all and reinstall the necessities. Thanks again, I really appreciate it, you're lightning fast. I'll report back tomorrow if I run into any other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.