Build now or wait?

Should I build a computer now or wait until new parts are released?

• Build now

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Build later

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

pistolpete31

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Thinking of building a gaming rig for about $1200 or so but with the 7 series and haswell coming out in a few months I think it would be best to wait. So vote on my poll and let me know what you think. Thanks

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
This is something that only you can really answer. depends what youre working with now? If you're getting by ok then stick with it and wait. If your struggling with anything you want to do then upgrade.

If you have a need now, build now.
If you wait, you will wait forever for the next best thing.

With your budget, you can build around a 3570K and plan on passing up haswell. It should be good for 4 years.
Haswell will bring perhaps a 10-15% performance increase at current prices. It is unknown if the OC capabilities will be significantly better. But most games are not cpu bound, or at least not limited by a 3570K with a mild overclock.

As to the graphics card, the situation is similar. The next round of cards will be evolutionary in nature. The top end cards will offer more top end performance and command an appropriately premium price. The midrange cards will have to compete with current cards on a price/performance basis.

My take is to build now.
Plan on a mid-life graphics update.

pistolpete31

Honorable
May 10, 2012
My rig right now is a weak 200 dollar build that I don't game with. I am still trying to even decide if I want a new rig but I am leaning towards yes. Seems like waiting a few months could pay off in the long run.