Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will a Core i5-3470 bottleneck a GTX 680?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
December 19, 2012 2:19:26 PM

It's actually EVGA GTX 670 FTW. But it's about the same as a regular 680. I have no clue how these things work, bottleneck, so I'm asking here.

I don't care about i7's somethingthreading.
December 19, 2012 2:27:11 PM

there might be a small one but you can decrease it by playing on higher resolutions, increasing the graphics settings
December 19, 2012 2:30:58 PM

If there is a bottleneck, you won't notice it unless you're playing on lower resolutions. Once you're at 1080p with at least high settings, it won't be the cpu holding your comp's performance back anymore.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 2:32:04 PM

That processor is absolutely ample. Excellent CPU/GPU choices there.
December 19, 2012 2:32:17 PM

It really depends on the game and situations in said game. Any CPU will bottleneck the 670, if say you are playing an MMO with 1,000 people around you. But for the most part, no the i5 3470 will not bottleneck you and you should be able to stay 60 fps+ in most situations @1080p.
December 19, 2012 2:36:02 PM

If you're doing BF3 multiplayer the CPU will be completely saturated but not sure if you'll actually notice anything.
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 3:37:32 PM

No
Anonymous
December 19, 2012 5:29:53 PM

I should add that my screen is 1600x900.
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 5:39:57 PM

The thing to keep in mind with that kind of low-res bottlenecking is that if you are bottlenecked, you'll be getting restricted to something like 77fps or 91fps. Low res + powerful GPU (and a very capable CPU) is always gonna mean high framerates.
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 6:05:52 PM

sam_p_lay said:
The thing to keep in mind with that kind of low-res bottlenecking is that if you are bottlenecked, you'll be getting restricted to something like 77fps or 91fps. Low res + powerful GPU (and a very capable CPU) is always gonna mean high framerates.


Not so. A restriction is a restriction. It dosent matter how it is being caused it means lower FPS. the very idea that there is a special kind of restriction that results in high framerates is pretty ridiculous .

Mactronix :) 
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 6:14:12 PM

mactronix said:
Not so. A restriction is a restriction. It dosent matter how it is being caused it means lower FPS. the very idea that there is a special kind of restriction that results in high framerates is pretty ridiculous .

Mactronix :) 


Look at some benchmarks and say that again. Borderlands 2 for example:

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...

Just the last thing I saw that was CPU-bottlenecked.

Think before you speak.
December 19, 2012 6:56:41 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Look at some benchmarks and say that again. Borderlands 2 for example:

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...

Just the last thing I saw that was CPU-bottlenecked.

Think before you speak.


I think what he is saying is, even if you are limited to a high framerate like that link showed of 75 FPS, it is still restricted... For example 75 fps is "lower FPS" than say 100 fps that it might have achieved if the CPU was not bottlenecking it.

But either way i think he was just trying to be difficult.
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 7:02:57 PM

Hehe yeah :-) He's not usually like that... tough day maybe. Maybe I didn't word it clearly - my point was that 75fps is hardly slow. You'd only need more than that for 3D.
Anonymous
December 19, 2012 7:37:35 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Hehe yeah :-) He's not usually like that... tough day maybe. Maybe I didn't word it clearly - my point was that 75fps is hardly slow. You'd only need more than that for 3D.

Running over 60fps constantly is good enough for me.
a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2012 7:39:34 PM

Quote:
Running over 60fps constantly is good enough for me.


LOL you and me both :-) That's a really nice card you've chosen - it's exactly what I'd be buying now if I wasn't waiting for next year's models.
a b Î Nvidia
December 20, 2012 1:56:53 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Hehe yeah :-) He's not usually like that... tough day maybe. Maybe I didn't word it clearly - my point was that 75fps is hardly slow. You'd only need more than that for 3D.



Yea sorry about that, a little of both really, didn't really catch what you meant and I'm on medication for a bad back at the moment.
I'm moving on to alcoholic medication later as the medical version isn't really helping that much.
Its nice to see someone being understanding and giving the benefit of the doubt, Props to you for that.


Mactronix :) 
a b Î Nvidia
December 20, 2012 4:23:22 PM

mactronix said:
Yea sorry about that, a little of both really, didn't really catch what you meant and I'm on medication for a bad back at the moment.
I'm moving on to alcoholic medication later as the medical version isn't really helping that much.
Its nice to see someone being understanding and giving the benefit of the doubt, Props to you for that.


Mactronix :) 


Well I see a lot of your posts on here, and they're generally intelligent, well-considered, level-headed kinda responses, and that's always good to see on here. So I appreciate that :-) Hope your back gets better soon - I know back pain really sucks.
!