Sign in with
Your question

Smallest full 3d (atleast gforce 7xxx range) graphics cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 19, 2012 2:24:56 PM

Well ones you can play 3d games with (atleast UT2k4), like the graphics cards in some laptops, that have a PCIe connector.. I bring it up, because it would be possible to build better small PCs, if we had graphic card options.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 2:36:30 PM

You can build a PC that would fit in most backpacks (backpacks like those children use for school) with a full sized card.

There are small cards too. Like HD 7750 low profile. But are they really necessary?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 19, 2012 6:26:18 PM

There is a low profile 7850 for the record. BUT! Some small cases like the bitfenix prodigy can use full sized cards like the radeon 7970
m
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 6:40:09 PM

jd_ is correct, HOWEVER (and this is a big one), small cases are often not great at dealing with a lot of heat. Even with fans, it is very easy for hot spots to develop. Unless it exhausts its heat (like the HIS Black Hole / IceQ Turbo coolers do), I'm not sure I'd put anything that gets hotter than a HD7770 in a small case.
I had a $150 mobo fry a VRM shorted in a small case. It was stock and maybe slightly undervolted, but the HD7870 I had in there produced a lot of heat during games, and one day it simply died. The case was a Lian Li PC-Q08R, which has two fans providing a flow of air through the case, but it was apparently not enough. Lesson learned.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 6:52:41 PM

+1 jd_w98
7850 if you want low profile, some beasty cards can fit into tiny cases.
The smallest you can buy (length wise) for best performance is the GTX 650 Ti.
m
l
!