D70S NEF and Photoshop CS2

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 16, 2005 2:28:44 PM

I knew the D50 had a "problem" in using a proprietary "NEF" [RAW]
format that Photoshop CS2 [PS CS2] couldn't read. To my horror, when I
got my D70S yesterday [I already have a D70] PS CS2 couldn't read the
NEF format. PS CS2 has no problem with the NEF format created by the
D70.

Anyway, I ended up installing the ghastly Picture Project 1.5 software
included with the camera, and even loaded a TRAIAL version of ACDSee
[v8]all to no real avail. Hours later, late at night, I sent Nikon tech
support a message. By then I was convinced that there was hardware
problem in my D70S and that I would have to return it the dealer. I
awoke with a brainstorm idea on how to fix it at 3:30 AM. This was a
total failure. I just happened to check my email and there it was - a
fix to my problem sent my by Nikon Tech support. It is a half-witted
fix but it allows me to use PS CS2 to read the NEF file. Under Nikon's
Omerta, threat of death warning against revealing anything in any email
they send you, I can't tell you what the fix is or much else of any
value. I can, hopefully, save somebody else the hell I went through by
telling you to send Nikon Tech Support an email if you want to know how
to sort of fix this problem. I'm not sure, but you may have to be a
"registered" Nikon user to do this.

I did hear on a very recent "podcast" of Leo LaPortes TWIT show that
Nikon has finally realized what a bunch of horse's rear ends they are
and will provide Adobe the "secret" format info so Adobe can create a
better software fix than that I which I am subjected to now.

I love Nikon and have been shooting with one since 1959 when I bought a
Nikon F in Japan. Still, I wonder if they have been taken over by
aliens who want to destroy this great company. The D70 and D70S are
excellent but the current "thinking", if you can call it that, at Nikon
HQ is creating a lot of new Canon users. How sad.

Tom

More about : d70s nef photoshop cs2

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:00:42 PM

On 16 Sep 2005 10:28:44 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Tom"
<kodakfilm@gmail.com> wrote:

>I did hear on a very recent "podcast" of Leo LaPortes TWIT show that
>Nikon has finally realized what a bunch of horse's rear ends they are
>and will provide Adobe the "secret" format info so Adobe can create a
>better software fix than that I which I am subjected to now.

Not really from what's been reported here or in r.p.d lately. Just adding a
cal to the SDK for WB that Adobe can make use of. Not giving Abobe the
actual spec and do the WB conversion on their own.

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 17, 2005 12:21:37 AM

Tom <kodakfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
> I knew the D50 had a "problem" in using a proprietary "NEF" [RAW]
> format that Photoshop CS2 [PS CS2] couldn't read. To my horror, when I
> got my D70S yesterday [I already have a D70] PS CS2 couldn't read the
> NEF format. PS CS2 has no problem with the NEF format created by the
> D70.

Did you install the CS2 update?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
September 17, 2005 9:31:38 AM

Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

> Not really from what's been reported here or in r.p.d lately. Just adding a
> cal to the SDK for WB that Adobe can make use of. Not giving Abobe the
> actual spec and do the WB conversion on their own.

Well, they're providing Adobe with the code to decrypt the white balance.
Which is a stupid, overcomplicated, but face-saving way of having not
encrypted it in the first place (since everyone already knows how to
decrypt it and it was only Adobe that wasn't willing to risk the legal
problem of doing so, since they're the only target worth suing). So
the end result is the same.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 05:31:38 -0000, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Jeremy
Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:

>Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Not really from what's been reported here or in r.p.d lately. Just adding a
>> cal to the SDK for WB that Adobe can make use of. Not giving Abobe the
>> actual spec and do the WB conversion on their own.
>
>Well, they're providing Adobe with the code to decrypt the white balance.
>Which is a stupid, overcomplicated, but face-saving way of having not
>encrypted it in the first place (since everyone already knows how to
>decrypt it and it was only Adobe that wasn't willing to risk the legal
>problem of doing so, since they're the only target worth suing). So
>the end result is the same.

I'm not so sure the end result is the same. I thought the sdk was going to
have it's own WB code, so you're stuck with Nikon's way of doing things.
It's not as is the raw WB info is available to be used how ever Adobe might
like in their own coding.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 17, 2005 2:29:57 PM

Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm not so sure the end result is the same. I thought the sdk was going to
> have it's own WB code, so you're stuck with Nikon's way of doing things.
> It's not as is the raw WB info is available to be used how ever Adobe might
> like in their own coding.

There is no "raw WB info". What you get, or don't get if you don't decrypt
it, is the color temperature and tint as set by the auto white-balance, or
the manual setting, at the time of shooting.

Adobe already *is* falling back to doing their own white balance calculation
on these files. What this will let them to do is use the in-camera white
balance information. This is advantageous because (a) it lets you set the
white balance when shooting and have ACR know it; and (b) the camera's
auto white balance has access to more information and thus can be more
accurate than ACR, which only has the image data to work from.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
!