Driver Issue - Nvidia 560

valruna

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
So this morning I started getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD error.

As per this forums advice of downloading driver cleaner to get rid of some old driver files still kicking around (which there were) and rebooting my PC as told to afterwards I now can't get past the Windows loading screen before getting stuck with a black with a thin blue bar going horizontally across the top. I'm assuming this is because I've knocked out a part of the driver I was using and it now cannot boot any graphics driver. To reitterate, I absolutely cannot reach the desktop currently.

In fact, I'm sure I've had this happen before with another graphics card that I was trying to put into my PC without the right drivers for it, so I'm 99.9% sure it's that the drivers are having an error.

It's my brothers old card (ASUS Nvidia 560) which he can't find the discs for to install the driver but my other brother is on his way home and he also runs a 560 so hopefully his CD will work, so my main question is: If he still has his CD which he should do because he's more responsible how do I install it if I can't get to the desktop and putting a different card in doesn't stop the black screen crashes?

Is it possible that it's not a graphics card error but a general graphics error of the PC itself?

If his CD doesn't work then what are my options? I also can't boot in safe mode, the error still occurs, and I can't boot the PC without the card in to download the drivers because then I have no visual display on the screen with which to do so.. I have a laptop I can download stuff on and a USB stick to transfer anything if needed etc.

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Try booting into safe mode w/ networking (f8 while pc boots) and see if you can get into the desktop. If so, go to Nvidia's website and download and install the drivers in safe mode.

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
If your motherboard supports onboard graphics, try to boot with that. Don't forget to check the BIOS and make sure that the integrated graphics port is set to enabled.

valruna

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
done the BIOS check, motherboard has no onboard graphics sadly.

Is it possible to do something like this:

"i'm writing this comment on a Core2Quad (msi p35 neo mobo) WITHOUT any graphics card in it.
i booted the system (win 7) and used remote desktop over LAN to "remote control" the machine."

?

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Sadly, no. You have to have an internet connection for both machines. Try another video card if you have on available. Even without the drivers, you should still have standard VGA resolution. You then could uninstall the old drivers and try again.

valruna

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I tried an older card and got the same black screen with blue bar.. though I haven't tried to safe mode the other card, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work.

I do have internet on both machines if that's the only thing stopping me from remotely doing it - though I don't have any program set up on either machine if there is one needed.

valruna

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Booted to disk and got flashing white line in top left corner of screen.. don't really want to follow that route and end up breaking PC more/do something unnecessary following over the top advice about clean re installs and whatnot.

popatim

Titan
wait a sec... you can boot the machine and get a blue bar but you can remote into it just fine? While you are remoted into it you certainly can download and install drivers. I do this all the time on my various pc's and server.

But You problem I think is that your display needs to be reset or something. try drivers first though, that should jump the resolution back to the displays native resolution and resolve the issue.

valruna

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I can't remote it, for some reason the whole issue is causing my network map to be unavailable..

I've found the blue bar is actually the windows screen. I just have a huge black screen in front of it kind've.

valruna

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I've gone into system recovery tools and managed to do some bootrec commands that have made it possible to reach desktop.