Sign in with
Your question

Will my corsair cx500 power a sapphire 7950 gpu

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2013 8:09:55 PM

Hey guys im a total noob here and to pc's in general, Id actually still be gaming on my ps3 if it wasn't for my bro in-law who decided to build me a pc as a x-mas present :) 

So im just needing to know will my cx500 psu be enough to power the Sapphire 7950 oc Vapox-X gpu? It was running with an XFX R7850 core edition but it died after less than a month destroying 3 psu's before I realized the gpu was responsible so im now getting refunded for that and planning to upgrade as I have some cash to spend.

The Pc has,

Cpu-Intel Core i5-3570K 3.45 GHz
Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Drives-OCZ SSD 125 and HDD 2tb
Ram-8gb (not sure what make)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2013 8:14:19 PM

Yes

but it is the absolute minimum so avoid overclocking the processor
February 4, 2013 11:32:36 AM

Thanks man that's good to know, I I'll leave the overclocking until I eventually upgrade the psu :) 
Related resources
February 4, 2013 12:43:22 PM

It really depends on whether or not you have an optical drive. If you don't have an optical drive, you're fine. If you do, I wouldn't do it. Newegg's PSU wattage calculator recommends over 500 if you have a DVD-RW, or a Blu-Ray drive. If not, they recommend about 475. And as Outlander has pointed out, do not overclock anything.
February 4, 2013 1:47:18 PM

seanpull said:
It really depends on whether or not you have an optical drive. If you don't have an optical drive, you're fine. If you do, I wouldn't do it. Newegg's PSU wattage calculator recommends over 500 if you have a DVD-RW, or a Blu-Ray drive. If not, they recommend about 475. And as Outlander has pointed out, do not overclock anything.

It does have a DVD RW drive which ill probably never use so ill leave it disconnected until im upgrading my PSU, I assume disconnecting the DVD drive will not affect anything else on my pc is this correct?
February 5, 2013 8:25:30 AM

Yes, that is correct.
February 5, 2013 5:42:48 PM

Thanks for the help guys.
!