Will my corsair cx500 power a sapphire 7950 gpu

Hey guys im a total noob here and to pc's in general, Id actually still be gaming on my ps3 if it wasn't for my bro in-law who decided to build me a pc as a x-mas present :)

So im just needing to know will my cx500 psu be enough to power the Sapphire 7950 oc Vapox-X gpu? It was running with an XFX R7850 core edition but it died after less than a month destroying 3 psu's before I realized the gpu was responsible so im now getting refunded for that and planning to upgrade as I have some cash to spend.

The Pc has,

Cpu-Intel Core i5-3570K 3.45 GHz
Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Drives-OCZ SSD 125 and HDD 2tb
Ram-8gb (not sure what make)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
7 answers Last reply
More about will corsair cx500 power sapphire 7950
  1. Yes

but it is the absolute minimum so avoid overclocking the processor
  2. Thanks man that's good to know, I I'll leave the overclocking until I eventually upgrade the psu :)
  3. It really depends on whether or not you have an optical drive. If you don't have an optical drive, you're fine. If you do, I wouldn't do it. Newegg's PSU wattage calculator recommends over 500 if you have a DVD-RW, or a Blu-Ray drive. If not, they recommend about 475. And as Outlander has pointed out, do not overclock anything.
  4. seanpull said:
    It really depends on whether or not you have an optical drive. If you don't have an optical drive, you're fine. If you do, I wouldn't do it. Newegg's PSU wattage calculator recommends over 500 if you have a DVD-RW, or a Blu-Ray drive. If not, they recommend about 475. And as Outlander has pointed out, do not overclock anything.

It does have a DVD RW drive which ill probably never use so ill leave it disconnected until im upgrading my PSU, I assume disconnecting the DVD drive will not affect anything else on my pc is this correct?
  5. Yes, that is correct.
  6. Thanks for the help guys.
  7. Your fine. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_7950_x_iceq_review,6.html

It pulls about 300w with an i7 overclocked on full stress with the 7950.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs Systems