Nikon D50 battery charger

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 16, 2005 10:02:06 PM

I ordered a D50 from one of those mailorder places that give me the
creeps. The sales guy (who actually didn't seem TOO sleezy) told me
that the MH-18a battery charger was internal to the camera and,
therefore, you really couldn't use the camera while the battery was
charging (unless you wanted to be tethered to the wall). So he sold me
an external charger (and threw in an extra battery - Nikon?
After-market? Don't know).

Did you pull my leg? Seems to me that the MH-18a would be external, or
it wouldn't have a model number associated with it.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 7:43:03 AM

According to <eric@wealthtrust.com>:
> I ordered a D50 from one of those mailorder places that give me the
> creeps.

Your "creeps" are well justified.

> The sales guy (who actually didn't seem TOO sleezy) told me
> that the MH-18a battery charger was internal to the camera and,
> therefore, you really couldn't use the camera while the battery was
> charging (unless you wanted to be tethered to the wall). So he sold me
> an external charger (and threw in an extra battery - Nikon?
> After-market? Don't know).

The MH-18a is part of each form of the camera as sold by Nikon.
And it is external. You might want to pick up a spare battery, so you
can be charging one while using the other. (It takes perhaps an hour or
so to charge.)

Visit the following web page:

<http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&produc...;

and click on the "outfit options" link at the top center of the page,
just below and to the right of the image of the camera. It has lists of
what comes with various forms of the camera package. The simplest is
the "body only" form (assuming that you already have lenses which will
fit the camera), and for that the following is the list of things
supplied with it:

DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
EN-EL3 Li-ion
DK-20 Rubber Eyecup
Rechargeable Battery
Accessory Shoe Cover
MH-18a Quick Charger
Nikon PictureProjectTM Software
Video Cable
Trial Version of Nikon Capture Software (Operates for 30 Days)
UC-E4 USB Cable
Strap
Body Cap

Note that I have the D70, and that uses the MH-18 (not MH-18a,
FWIW), and it is stand alone. It *might* be possible to charge the
battery through the USB cable connecting to the computer, but I'll bet
that it would take nearly forever -- if it is possible at all.

> Did you pull my leg?

I did not -- but the salesman appears to have. There are many
of the mail-order (or web-order) sites which tend to have a very
attractive price on the camera -- except that they strip off all of the
accessories, and sell them to you at a sufficiently high price so you
are back in the ballpark of the camera from a more reputable dealer. I
would suggest that you should cancel this order, and go deal with
someone more reputable. I bought my D70 from a local dealer (actually a
camera chain), but I have heard excellent things about B&H camera as a
mail-order site.

> Seems to me that the MH-18a would be external, or
> it wouldn't have a model number associated with it.

Indeed so. Go find a reputable dealer.

Good Luck,
DoN.