Opinion on my soon to be computer

Hey, I thought for my first post I would post the specifications of the computer I'm building. I'm open for suggestions for better components, so if you have any recommendations feel free to put them in the comments. I didn't give myself a budget since I want a PC that's going to last me for 10-20 years...

Specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770k @ 3.50 GHz ( CDN$ 319.99 @ Amazon.ca)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ( CDN$ 158.49 @ Newegg.ca)
HDD: 2 TB Western Digital Internal Hard Drive ( CND$ 109.99 @ Newegg.ca)
SDD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive ( CND$ 184.99 @ Newegg.ca)
Motherboard: Asus Lga 2011 Intel X79 Sata 6 GB/S Usb 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Sabertooth X79 ( CDN$ 402.72 @ Amazon.ca)
Video/Graphics Card: ASUS/NVIDIA GTX 690 4GB ( CND$ 1,049.99 @ Newegg.ca)
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve ( CDN$ 30.99 @ Newegg.ca)
PC Shell: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ( CDN$ 279.99 @ Newegg.ca)
Power Supply: CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular ( CDN$ 286.99 @ Newegg.ca) I understand the power supply is overboard but I don't wanna take any chances with a 1000$ graphics card.

Total cost: 2824.14 Canadian Dollars.


Any suggestions for upgrade/downgrades would be appreciated. I'm not downgrading the GTX 690 though, that is staying.
7 answers Last reply
More about opinion computer
  1. TheIncognetoSandwich said:
    Hey, I thought for my first post I would post the specifications of the computer I'm building. I'm open for suggestions for better components, so if you have any recommendations feel free to put them in the comments. I didn't give myself a budget since I want a PC that's going to last me for 10-20 years...

    Specs:
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770k @ 3.50 GHz ( CDN$ 319.99 @ Amazon.ca)
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ( CDN$ 158.49 @ Newegg.ca)
    HDD: 2 TB Western Digital Internal Hard Drive ( CND$ 109.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    SDD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive ( CND$ 184.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    Motherboard: Asus Lga 2011 Intel X79 Sata 6 GB/S Usb 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Sabertooth X79 ( CDN$ 402.72 @ Amazon.ca)
    Video/Graphics Card: ASUS/NVIDIA GTX 690 4GB ( CND$ 1,049.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve ( CDN$ 30.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    PC Shell: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ( CDN$ 279.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular ( CDN$ 286.99 @ Newegg.ca) I understand the power supply is overboard but I don't wanna take any chances with a 1000$ graphics card.

    Total cost: 2824.14 Canadian Dollars.


    Any suggestions for upgrade/downgrades would be appreciated. I'm not downgrading the GTX 690 though, that is staying.



    First of all : i7 3770k is a 1155 SOCKET but the motherboard is 2011 SOCKET

    Here, take this processor instead : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492 (3930K)

    Also, the motherboard is quad channel memory so basiclly, for better performance, you have to get 4 sticks or 8 sticks of ram. It's up to you.

    - The Brownie
  2. Bromeh said:
    First of all : i7 3770k is a 1155 SOCKET but the motherboard is 2011 SOCKET

    Here, take this processor instead : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492 (3930K)


    - The Brownie


    Thanks lol I completely missed that :/
  3. Just edited my last message :

    Also, the motherboard is quad channel memory so basiclly, for better performance, you have to get 4 sticks or 8 sticks of ram. It's up to you.

    - The Brownie
  4. UPDATE:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor ( CDN$ 574.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ( CDN$ 158.49 @ Newegg.ca)
    HDD: 2 TB Western Digital Internal Hard Drive ( CND$ 109.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    SDD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive ( CND$ 184.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    Motherboard: Asus Lga 2011 Intel X79 Sata 6 GB/S Usb 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Sabertooth X79 ( CDN$ 402.72 @ Amazon.ca)
    Video/Graphics Card: ASUS/NVIDIA GTX 690 4GB ( CND$ 1,049.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve ( CDN$ 30.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    PC Shell: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ( CDN$ 279.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular ( CDN$ 286.99 @ Newegg.ca) I understand the power supply is overboard but I don't wanna take any chances with a 1000$ graphics card.
  5. TheIncognetoSandwich said:
    UPDATE:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor ( CDN$ 574.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ( CDN$ 158.49 @ Newegg.ca)
    HDD: 2 TB Western Digital Internal Hard Drive ( CND$ 109.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    SDD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive ( CND$ 184.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    Motherboard: Asus Lga 2011 Intel X79 Sata 6 GB/S Usb 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Sabertooth X79 ( CDN$ 402.72 @ Amazon.ca)
    Video/Graphics Card: ASUS/NVIDIA GTX 690 4GB ( CND$ 1,049.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve ( CDN$ 30.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    PC Shell: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ( CDN$ 279.99 @ Newegg.ca)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular ( CDN$ 286.99 @ Newegg.ca) I understand the power supply is overboard but I don't wanna take any chances with a 1000$ graphics card.


    Ok so you're going to stay with 6 sticks of ram ? Performance won't be as good as a full quad channel.


    - The Brownie
  6. Bromeh said:
    Ok so you're going to stay with 6 sticks of ram ? Performance won't be as good as a full quad channel.


    - The Brownie


    Yeah, really I only need 16 GB of RAM, and for what I'm going to be doing with this PC even 10 GB would be over kill. Battlefield 3 takes 4-6 GB of RAM, Planetside 2 about 5 GB and Black Ops II 6 GB. So yes, I'm going to be sticking with the 6 sticks of memory.
  7. Ok but you can't get like 4 sticks of 6GB for the same amount of memory BUT with faster performances.


    - The Brownie
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computers Systems