GSM Phone for Cingular

Last response: in Brands
April 23, 2005 3:09:45 AM

I'm thinking of checking out Cingular's GSM service in the Northern
California area.
I'll also probably need TDMA and AMP coverage.

I need a REAL phone i.e. no women's cosmetic compacts (tiny flip
phones).

No micro buttons (my fingers cover 2 to 3 buttons/keys, the thumb
cover 4 to 6).

I need to be able to read the screen in bright daylight and/or with
sunglasses.

No cameras, games, calculators or palm pilots and so on.

I use ~4000 minutes a month. I just want to make and receive calls.

I've been using a Nokia 6160 AT&T TDMA phone, a Nokia 3285 Verizon
CDMA phone and recently a Sprint 3585i phone.

I like the size and features of the older Nokia 6340i and Nokia 6310i
phones.

Any suggestions? No "girly-man" phones please.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

More about : gsm phone cingular

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:30:35 PM

In article <1padnZFLwswNe_TfRVn-hw@comcast.com>,
* * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:
>I'm thinking of checking out Cingular's GSM service in the Northern
>California area.
>I'll also probably need TDMA and AMP coverage.
>
>I need a REAL phone i.e. no women's cosmetic compacts (tiny flip
>phones).
>
>No micro buttons (my fingers cover 2 to 3 buttons/keys, the thumb
>cover 4 to 6).
>
>I need to be able to read the screen in bright daylight and/or with
>sunglasses.
>
>No cameras, games, calculators or palm pilots and so on.
>
>I use ~4000 minutes a month. I just want to make and receive calls.
>
>I've been using a Nokia 6160 AT&T TDMA phone, a Nokia 3285 Verizon
>CDMA phone and recently a Sprint 3585i phone.
>
>I like the size and features of the older Nokia 6340i and Nokia 6310i
>phones.
>
>Any suggestions? No "girly-man" phones please.

Your 6340i, if unlocked, will work on a Cingular GSM system. Just go to a
company store and ask for a customer-provided and maintained equipment
activation. Good luck getting TDMA activated anywhere. A more modern GSM
phone of similar form factor, with no frills, is the discontinued 3595 or
its replacement, the 6010.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:36:57 AM

* * Chas wrote:

[snip]

> I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
> coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
> have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area up
> to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.

I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i roaming on
both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using purely 1900 MHz of
course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on 900/1800/1900. I've also
used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the same phone with no major problems.
Coverage dies around the Big Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does everything
from what I'm told ;-)

Ivor
April 24, 2005 12:36:58 AM

"Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
> * * Chas wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
> > coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
> > have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area
up
> > to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.
>
> I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i
roaming on
> both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using purely 1900
MHz of
> course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on 900/1800/1900. I've
also
> used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the same phone with no major
problems.
> Coverage dies around the Big Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does
everything
> from what I'm told ;-)

Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
the US.

Thanks
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:41:00 AM

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
>> * * Chas wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
>>> coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
>>> have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area
>>> up to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.
>>
>> I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i
>> roaming on both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using
>> purely 1900 MHz of course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on
>> 900/1800/1900. I've also used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the
>> same phone with no major problems. Coverage dies around the Big
>> Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does everything from what I'm told
>> ;-)
>
> Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
> sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
> around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
> the US.
>
> Thanks

I'd be wary of relying on 1900 GSM alone though, maybe a 6340i would
better suit your needs given that it has TDMA and AMPS as well as both 850
and 1900 GSM.

Ivor
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:13:12 PM

In article <Bt2dnSE10q-xMfffRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:

>Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
>sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
>around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
>the US.

I've had a 6310i in the US mostly but also in the UK, Russia, etc. on
the old AT & T network and overall it's been really good. There are a
few holes in the US where an older analog phone would have worked better.

It's not totally compatible with all the iSinc features of my Macintosh
Powerbook, but I am able to upload all the AddressBook data and use the
BlueTooth to establish a GSM direct connection to the Internet.
!