GSM Phone for Cingular

I'm thinking of checking out Cingular's GSM service in the Northern
California area.
I'll also probably need TDMA and AMP coverage.

I need a REAL phone i.e. no women's cosmetic compacts (tiny flip
phones).

No micro buttons (my fingers cover 2 to 3 buttons/keys, the thumb
cover 4 to 6).

I need to be able to read the screen in bright daylight and/or with
sunglasses.

No cameras, games, calculators or palm pilots and so on.

I use ~4000 minutes a month. I just want to make and receive calls.

I've been using a Nokia 6160 AT&T TDMA phone, a Nokia 3285 Verizon
CDMA phone and recently a Sprint 3585i phone.

I like the size and features of the older Nokia 6340i and Nokia 6310i
phones.

Any suggestions? No "girly-man" phones please.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
5 answers Last reply

    In article <1padnZFLwswNe_TfRVn-hw@comcast.com>,
    * * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:
    >I'm thinking of checking out Cingular's GSM service in the Northern
    >California area.
    >I'll also probably need TDMA and AMP coverage.
    >
    >I need a REAL phone i.e. no women's cosmetic compacts (tiny flip
    >phones).
    >
    >No micro buttons (my fingers cover 2 to 3 buttons/keys, the thumb
    >cover 4 to 6).
    >
    >I need to be able to read the screen in bright daylight and/or with
    >sunglasses.
    >
    >No cameras, games, calculators or palm pilots and so on.
    >
    >I use ~4000 minutes a month. I just want to make and receive calls.
    >
    >I've been using a Nokia 6160 AT&T TDMA phone, a Nokia 3285 Verizon
    >CDMA phone and recently a Sprint 3585i phone.
    >
    >I like the size and features of the older Nokia 6340i and Nokia 6310i
    >phones.
    >
    >Any suggestions? No "girly-man" phones please.

    Your 6340i, if unlocked, will work on a Cingular GSM system. Just go to a
    company store and ask for a customer-provided and maintained equipment
    activation. Good luck getting TDMA activated anywhere. A more modern GSM
    phone of similar form factor, with no frills, is the discontinued 3595 or
    its replacement, the 6010.

    * * Chas wrote:

    [snip]

    > I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
    > coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
    > have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area up
    > to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.

    I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i roaming on
    both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using purely 1900 MHz of
    course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on 900/1800/1900. I've also
    used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the same phone with no major problems.
    Coverage dies around the Big Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does everything
    from what I'm told ;-)

    Ivor

    "Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
    > * * Chas wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
    > > coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
    > > have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area
    up
    > > to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.
    >
    > I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i
    roaming on
    > both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using purely 1900
    MHz of
    > course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on 900/1800/1900. I've
    also
    > used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the same phone with no major
    problems.
    > Coverage dies around the Big Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does
    everything
    > from what I'm told ;-)

    Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
    sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
    around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
    the US.

    Thanks
    --

    * * Chas wrote:
    > "Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
    >> * * Chas wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
    >>> coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
    >>> have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area
    >>> up to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.
    >>
    >> I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i
    >> roaming on both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using
    >> purely 1900 MHz of course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on
    >> 900/1800/1900. I've also used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the
    >> same phone with no major problems. Coverage dies around the Big
    >> Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does everything from what I'm told
    >> ;-)
    >
    > Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
    > sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
    > around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
    > the US.
    >
    > Thanks

    I'd be wary of relying on 1900 GSM alone though, maybe a 6340i would
    better suit your needs given that it has TDMA and AMPS as well as both 850
    and 1900 GSM.

    Ivor

    In article <Bt2dnSE10q-xMfffRVn-qw@comcast.com>,
    "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:

    >Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
    >sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
    >around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
    >the US.

    I've had a 6310i in the US mostly but also in the UK, Russia, etc. on
    the old AT & T network and overall it's been really good. There are a
    few holes in the US where an older analog phone would have worked better.

    It's not totally compatible with all the iSinc features of my Macintosh
    Powerbook, but I am able to upload all the AddressBook data and use the
    BlueTooth to establish a GSM direct connection to the Internet.

Nokia Phones Cingular