grungeallday91

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hey everyone. I just built my first system about a month ago and I need some help understanding Vsync and its quirks. I've been trying to run Crysis on full settings with vsync on and it only gives me 24 fps, according to Fraps. Without Vsync, im running between 80 and 100 fps. Without Vsync, I get terrible screen tearing. With it, I don't, but 24 is pretty low, especially with what I'm using. Shouldn't it just run at 60 fps with Vsync? I'm really confused. I've posted my system below. Thanks everyone.

Intel Core i7 3770K
Corsair Vengeance 16 gb
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Samsung Syncmaster S23B550

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
vsync only works in full screen mode and it attempts to synchronize the framerate of the game with the framerate of the monitor.

The reason why you don't get 60fps is that it is very taxing on the system.
Try lowering the native refresh of the monitor in windows if you can. Like on mine I can go from 60 to 58.

grungeallday91

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

So I can get 60 fps while not in full screen. Do you need to have a ridiculous monitor to run things in full screen?

grungeallday91

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Just curious, what would lowering the refresh rate do for my fps?

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

raising the fps wouldn't matter if it lowers the max frame rate the display shows... and lowering the refresh rate also doesn't raise the fps that much...

He's taking a hit in performance because of fraps as well...

If you have V-sync on the FPS is tied to the refresh rate, lowering the refresh rate can only result in lowering the FPS.

I assume the idea behind the suggestion was to try and tweak the balance to try and get the FPS and refresh back into balance. Much better to try something like increasing quality settings or enabling triple buffering on the GPU to try and slow it down a little.

Mactronix :)