Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card not being utilized

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2012 12:34:25 AM

Hello,
I'm having trouble with my Nvidia 7900 GTX card. I recently bought a friend's build and everything works fine except when trying to use the card.

I have the correct and updated drivers installed. System properties shows that the graphics card IS installed and current.

I have re-installed windows and driver software to no avail. When i try to game, the quality is worse than my laptop with a factory default gpu with minimum graphics settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PSU is 650 watts and the card fan is running.

My specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400@ 2.13GHz

8 GB RAM

64-bit Windows 7

More about : graphics card utilized

a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 12:57:01 AM

Are you trying to use a onboard graphics card alongside the 7900?
If you are, just disable the onboard video.
December 20, 2012 1:04:12 AM

the only thing listed under "display adapters" is the Nvidia 7900 gtx card. Does this mean I have to disable it in BIOS?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:08:00 AM

rockydog2040 said:
the only thing listed under "display adapters" is the Nvidia 7900 gtx card. Does this mean I have to disable it in BIOS?

You go into your bios, then disable the integrated graphics.

Under display options choose PEG as primary device.

a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:11:06 AM

seems like it is being used, since its the only video device showing up in device manager. you do realize that card is old as dirt right?
December 20, 2012 1:17:16 AM

I'm aware the card is old. I bought the entire rig for $50 and I don't need Ultra graphics to be happy.

I know something isn't working properly from my tests on "can you run it". My laptop with factory default specs "fails" the test for a game I play and runs it smoothly on minimum graphics. My rig is only a little bit short of "optimal" yet can only run on minimum graphics.

How is this possible?

a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:28:22 AM

you havent told us what kind of laptop you have. i bet its alot more recent than that video card.
December 20, 2012 1:36:11 AM

the gpu on my laptop is an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. same Ghz but only 6 GB RAM

i5 processor
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:47:04 AM

i bet the built in graphics on the i5 is better than the 7900.
December 20, 2012 5:07:14 AM

No i compared the specs and they are not better than the 7900
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 5:32:31 AM

You should be able to run just fine.
I have the equivalent setup of yours right now and I can run pretty much anything fine with min settings or more.
Try resetting the BIOS, and turn off anything that is power saving like intel speedstep and stuff like that.
!