Sign in with
Your question

OS for my new computer

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2013 3:11:50 AM

I finally moved from the age of dinosaurs (AGP vid card, Core 2 Duo cpu) and got the following:

EVGA SSC 01G-P4-3652-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Intel Core i5-3570K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz

I already had two good HD's, both SATA. But I'm still running a 32 bit version of XP. I'd like to move THAT into the 21st century, too, so I was hoping to switch to Windows 7. I just don't know what version to get, and I don't know what's the best way to about switching over.

Do I just transfer files from HD 1 to HD 2, reformat HD 1, and then load Win 7 on it?
Is it better to buy an SSD, load Win 7 onto that, make it my boot drive, and just use the others as storage?
Is there a better choice I haven't thought of? This is only my second build ever and I'm not the most tech savvy person. I use my computer for surfing the web and some online gaming and that's it.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :) 

More about : computer

a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 3:53:51 AM

Hi, your best bet is to have your os on the ssd. Then plug in your other two hdd's and your good to go!
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 3:54:32 AM

Good build, it is probably more than you need for your usage.

You most definitely want a 64 bit version of an OS to let you use more than 4gb of ram.

For windows 7, home premium is all the normal user needs.

A 64 bit version upgrade will need a clean install.

I think this would be a wonderful time to get a SSD. A 120gb SSD($100) will hold the os and a handful of games or apps.
It will make everything you do feel much quicker. You will really notice it on the windows install.

My plan would be to first use windows easy transfer to copy my files and settings someplace. Either on your external backup device, or onto one of your hard drives.
Install windows 7 onto the ssd. (make certain that sata mode is ahci) Do not attach your other hard drives or windows install will try to put a recovery pertition on it.
After install, reattach the hard drives and you can access the files. Or, use windows easy transfer to inport you files and settings. Your apps will need to be reinstalled.

If you do not have an external backup device, repurpose the xp drive and put it into an external usb 3.0 enclosure.
m
l
February 4, 2013 4:41:20 AM

I do have an external 500g drive with more than enough room to handle the files on my current internal HD's.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking for an SSD and a copy of Win 7 Home Premium. :hello: 
m
l
Related resources
!