Radeon HD 4670 "total approx memory n/a"

Edward Trollton

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I recently ran into a problem that I've been searching around for on the internet for 3 hours now, and nothing has solved my problem. A lot of top results linked to this website so I figured someone on here might be able to help me.
My laptop recently burnt out, so I'm using a pretty old computer, and I bought a new graphics card to play the games I would play, and a new power supply to adequately power it. The card I bought is the ATI Radeon HD 4670. I will admit, I am not extremely tech savvy and when I went to switch out the cards, I did not disable or remove or uninstall the previous drivers, I just took out the card, put the new one in, and installed everything that came with the CD. In the device manager, under "Display Adapters" the only thing it says is ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, I've read that some computers automatically disable older or integrated graphics drivers upon a new one being installed, so I didn't think anything of it, but if it's important be sure to make note of it. Anyway my problem is that I'm not sure if it's being detected or not. I tried installing Bluestacks and it gave me an error about not recognizing or being able to detect my graphics card, so I ran the dxdiag.exe to see what was up, and all the information is there, except the memory. Everything else checks out except that. I went to System Requirement Labs to the "Can You Run It" part to see if I could run an older game, (since my processor rules out all newer games) and found that it too said my VRAM was 0.0B. Is there something I missed or skipped during installation that caused this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

battlefieldhazard

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
did you try turning it off then on JK well this is an awkward thing to come up but usually the reason why a computer doesn't recognize a device is the drivers because the computer doesn't have the "tools" to use it so you might want to go to the website of the makers of the card for the latest drivers.

Edward Trollton

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I installed the latest drivers from the website, AND the link the CD gave me. Still says n/a :U

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Dude,

1. Remove the previous drivers first.
2. Download the newest drivers from AMD to your desktop.
3. Next, you'll probably need to reboot.
4. You'll need to boot into BIOS and select the proper PCI Express preference for output.
5. install new drivers/software.

Good luck. And better luck next time. All the info I've given you is freely available on AMD.com
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

Edward Trollton

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I don't have any PCI-E slots though, this card is in an AGP slot... Do I choose that one in the BIOS?

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Well generally when you boot up should see the option to boot into BIOS/SetUp from the manufacturers/ Motherboard options, usually pressing/tapping Delete or F2 from what I've seen.
From there you'll have to navigate around with your arrow keys in the BIOS Menus to the Graphics options. It should be pretty plain to set AGP as the output.
Also there should be a description somewhere on the screen to each option you highlight by selecting it.

You'll see all the options for saving, exiting etc. at the bottom.
Make sure to save it after you've found it and set it. Might be F10 key usually.

Edward Trollton

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I did that, installing the drivers now. Will keep you guys updated (y)

Edward Trollton

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Well I'm at the start of the installation, and an error message popped up: saying it hasn't passed a compatibility test. This computer IS pretty old, Dell Dimension 8300 with an Intel Pentium 4 it. Will I be able to use this graphics card at all? :U