Akkai

Honorable
May 22, 2012
hi everyone

i have a i7 860 oc to 3.2 Ghz, coretemp shows me that it is running at 76 c idle and 100 c under load and im using a standard cooler though im upgrading it soon, my motherboard is the GA-P55-UD7 and its running stable 24-7 with no problem...is this right ?

Akkai

Honorable
May 22, 2012
mvtah5.png
<-- this is a print screen of All CPU Meter with CoreTemp running in the background.

That is definitely bad. The Tcase temperature for this CPU is 72.7 ºC (that is how hot the metal casing should get without exceeding specifications). The maximum core temperature is higher, I read it was 99 ºC (TJmax) but could not confirm it. If the CPU hits TJmax, it will shut down.

Also, there is a phenomenon intel refers to as "bottoming out", which consists of the thermal sensors getting at high temperatures and then becoming unable to read anything lower than a certain threshold. Check this for more:

http://www.techreaction.net/2009/10/14/guide-to-understanding-intel-temperatures/

Anyway, you processors is too hot (not in a good way), could you please tell us the BIOS settings you are using (Vcore, Frequency).

Akkai

Honorable
May 22, 2012
just before the print screen i reset the bios and have the CPU on stock right now 2.8 Ghz, the only difference between OC on stock temps are when its under load and reads 89 - 100 c. for safety i'm not putting it in any load only movies playing, i had it running like this for about 5 or 6 months now 24-7 to see if there may be any changes and none thus far, i even checked my pc health in the bios and it shows no problem at all.

Akkai

Honorable
May 22, 2012
not at all, it seated with no effort at all, but im thinking that the heatsink is the reason for this, that's why i'm going to replace it with a better higher performance heatsink.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
First, let's identify if it's an airflow or cooler issue. A new cooler in a poor airflow environment will just do the same thing.

Open the side of your case, blow a house or desk fan on HIGH into the side of your case. If your temps go down by a good margin, you have a case airflow issue. If your temps remain the same, you have a cooler or mounting issue.

Try this before you go buying anything new, just yet. The outcome of this test will tell you what needs to be addressed.