Gaming Computer Upgrade

Hello,
this is my current computer, Ive got only my graphics card updated:

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @2.66GHz
RAM: 4 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5P43TD PRO (LGA775)
Graphic card : Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Power Supply: Corsair HX520W Modular Power Supply
HDD: Western Digital WD500AAKS Caviar blue (16MB cache)

But I am planning to upgrate everything else besides graphics gard, because I am experiencing some compatibility issues, at least I think so.
I found some tutorial for putting together a good gaming PC in one magazine so I managed to make this set up:

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K - 3.4GHz BOX
RAM: CORSAIR DDR3 2x4096MB Vengeance
Motherboard: ASUS P8Q77-M
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX650W
HDD: Western Digital Green 1,5TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB WD15EARX

So community do you think this set up is worth it, just for games?
And is everything necessary to upgrade? Like I cant keep my power supply right? I wanted to save some money :)

Thank you very much in advance for answers and tips .
15 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer upgrade
  1. * CPU is perfect option, IMHO.
    * Mobo is good too.
    * GPU is a good option, since you already have it!
    * I would stick with the PSU, unless you think you need a new one. Your currently one should last at least 5+ years.
    * HD should be find for Data drive, but I'd consider at least a 128 gb SSD, if you want to add some pop to load times. It'll depend on whether or not you value an SSD or not.
  2. Noob12 said:
    No it is not worth it. You have Q-77 MoBo. Take a Z-77 or B-75 if you want a mATX.
    If you do not overclock. Take this cpu: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637e31230v2

Better value for money.http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1230+V2+%40+3.30GHz

No need to upgrade PSU.
    Take a rather new SSD. Samsung 830 256GB or 128GB. OCZ vector is good too.
    And reliable Intel 330/520 is good.

What case do you have? This is good Mobo if you take that xeon or if you do not overclock CPU: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gab75md3h

If you take 3570k then take Z-77 and a good CPU cooler and overclock it.
    Xeon is faster than 3570k at stock.
    Good Z-77 MoBo is gigabyte X-D3H
    Good quiet CPU cooler: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr1

I missed the Q77 chipset, which to me shouldn't be use for gaming, IMHO. It'll work, but you'll be limited. I would go with z77 chipset also.
  3. budget?
  4. Thakns o lot so far :)
    I ll dig into those MoBos and might choose another one.
    Budget? the new components I posted would cost me 500 EUR - 90 PSU while you said my current one is good enough.
    so I would say something about 410 EUR
  5. hmm that Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.30Ghz cost the same as Intel Core i5 3570K - 3.4GHz BOX :)
    But Xeon is made for servers, is that no problem for me while I just want it for games ? :)

And why do you say "If you do not overclock. Take this cpu Xeon" ?? hes not able to be overclocked ?
  6. don't get a zeon,
  7. jcurry23 said:
    don't get a zeon,

why not ?
  8. Noob12 said:
    Good Z-77 MoBo is gigabyte X-D3H

What do you say about ASUS P8Z77-V LX ?

I would rather buy Asus :) I didnt have anything Gygabyte yet.
  9. So in the end do you think this build is worth it ?

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.30Ghz
    RAM: CORSAIR DDR3 2x4096MB Vengeance
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
    Power Supply: Corsair HX520W Modular Power Supply
    HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

I got three questions if I may about this build.

1. Is "Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.30Ghz" good for games, while its server processor?

2. Is 520W gonna be enough for this build ?

3. And is this HDD "Western Digital Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB" fast enough (7200rpm)? Because at rotational speed it just says IntelliPower.

Thank you very much for help
  10. I have one on a board. I game on it. I haven't ran benchmarks to see if compares with a "standard" 1155 processor. I get no slow ups, everything seems to run fine.

a friend of mine owns one a a mini itx asrock board and he say it runs fine. ( dominator ram )

get the fastest memory your board and BIOS can support.

other than that I can't say anyting. I use the machine for working ( firepro ) and nvidia for gaming )
  11. * Not sure why you want a Xenon CPU, the i5 3570k is plenty of CPU for 98% of peoples needs/wants.
    * That 520w PSU is plenty for your needs, unless it's over 6 or 7 years old and has been stressed for that whole period of time.
    * The WD Green HD is designed for lower power so it might be a bit slower than the 7200 rpm Blue or Black editions. I'm betting it's running at 5400-5900 rpm's, but haven't found a specific answer yet.
  12. lunyone said:
    * Not sure why you want a Xenon CPU, the i5 3570k is plenty of CPU for 98% of peoples needs/wants.

Its not that I want him specifically, its just that "NooB12" told me that I should get Xenon and at some benchamrks the Xenon has better scores.
    But on the other hand I found that Xenon isnt made for gaming, and i5 is much more.

Actually even here wins i5

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230V2-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K

So I will take i5, looks much better for games.

And now when I will get Intel Core i5 3570K - 3.4GHz BOX is the motherboard I chose good for it please ?

EDIT : this motherboard "ASUS P8Z77-V LX "
  13. depends if ur overclocking. if u wanna overclock and not have 4 extra hyper-threading cores i5 3570k is good, if not for 4xtracores. the xeon is quite good market and asus p8z77 good bord
  14. Thank you all for your advices and answeres, you have been very helpful :)
    In the end I ordered:

CORSAIR DDR3 2x8192MB Vengeance RAM (more RAM for my multitasking :D )

Intel Core i5 3570K - 3.4GHz BOX - for future overclocking

ZALMAN CNPS14X - cooler

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA6Gb/s (I wanted little bit more speed, and didnt want to buy SSD)

ASUS P8Z77-V LX (this one didnt change)
  15. good job :)

+1
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computers Graphics Cards Systems Product