Getting win98 to connect to Linksys

I need to get an old win98 laptop onto my wifi. I have a USB wireless adapter and it appears to be working. I can use the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility and see my network on the list. I enter my router key and hit go and it just doesn't do anything (keeps saying network and internet unavailable). I think I have my network settings setup how they should be (TCP/IP, etc.). Does anyone have some pointers on what I might look for?
3 answers Last reply
More about getting win98 connect linksys
  1. What type of wireless adapter is it?

If the adapter is old and only supports WEP, then it will not connect to a newer router that by default only supports WPA. You will either need to enable WEB on your router, which opens up security holes, get a new adapter that supports WPA, or just use an Ethernet cable.
  2. It's an old Microsoft broadband networking device. Don't remember the part number (Mx-510 maybe?). It's old, so you may be on to something.

I really just need to be able to transfer files from my other machine. If this gets too hard I guess I could try to find thumb drive drivers instead...
  3. For a brief time it will be OK to enable WEP in your router, but make sure you disable it as soon as you are done!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Wireless Networking