Windows 8 pro activation after GPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

deen4533

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hello,
Windows 8 pro WMC is installed on Asus M3A78-EM with on board GPU but I wish to upgrade it to higher version and have purchase a compitable one but not installed it yet and also wish to upgrade its CPU and both are arriving in few days.
I recently came across few blogs where it was stated that one may loose activation after hardware upgrade like GPU or CPU and HDD,in that case what is your expert advice to avoid re activation of my windows 8 pro,it is installed on my two drives,which are run seperatly by two persons in my family.
Is it true or not and if yes how to stay activated without any headache of calling MS and getting grilled,both versions are legally purchase from Microsoft.

Please elobtate in detail.

deen4533

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks Mactronix for an interesting article,some doubts are cleared and some are still there, one copy is an upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 pro WMC but I came across a full version of windows 8 pro which installed a clean version never asked for a previous version which could be highly helpful in future in case format, I don't need to install two windows one after anthor, to test its authencity I installed it on anthor drive in case I need to login from it, I don't have time to go through that reinstall again,I can unplug it and retain it for future use. It was a worth investment legally purchase on flipkart india for Rs 3499/ and the upgrade I got it for RS 600 when I used promo code, so not a big investment. No one knows when one gets a headache when nothing boots, in that case backup comes handy that too when you have some important work to finish.
Actually I would like to know from a person who did a upgrade of CPU and GPU after installation and what happened afterwards,did it ask for a re activation or not,mine is not a OEM desktop and my windows 8 are one full and one upgrade.

With regards.

deen4533

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Cloning a HDD and upgrading CPU have passed activation of windows 8 without any problem but I am still waiting for my new GPU ATI Radeon 6670 HD DDR5 for upgrade and if it passed too then I agree with Mactronix that windows activation is tied with motherboard,I will report back after two day when GPU arrives,there was some delay on part of vendor to deliver,it should have come a week before.

deen4533

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Update : Installed AMD radeon 6670 HD DDR5 1GB and windows 8 pro WMC passed activation test after couple of restarts and reassembling of card. Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.