Minolta Maxxum 7D and generic lithium batteries

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 18, 2005 7:26:48 PM

I just bought a Konica Minolta 7D and wanted to get some spare
batteries (NP-400). I see plenty of generic lithium batteries at about
1/3 the price of the Konica Minolta version. From what I have read in
general, I gather that some generic lithium batteries can be as good as
the manufacturer-supplied version, but some cheaply made ones can be
weaker or even downright dangerous. Has anybody had experience with any
particular generics? Any recommendation as to what to get or what to
avoid?

Also, I have seen some of the Minolta NP-400 batteries labeled as being
for the Dimage A1 and A2, and others as advertised for the A1, A2, 7D,
and 5D. For example, Amazon lists both, but the A1-A2 version is $5
less. I assume these are exactly the same batteries, and that some that
were made before the 7D and 5D came out just don't refer to them. Is
that correct?

Mark Cutler
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:32:53 PM

Mark Cutler wrote:

> I just bought a Konica Minolta 7D

Congrats.

> and wanted to get some spare batteries

Me too. However I've found one battery, no spare has worked fine. (I
don't use the built in flash or AF, so that helps, but the battery does
last quite a while ... eg: many hundreds of shots.

> (NP-400). I see plenty of generic lithium batteries at about 1/3 the
> price of the Konica Minolta version. From what I have read in general, I
> gather that some generic lithium batteries can be as good as the
> manufacturer-supplied version, but some cheaply made ones can be weaker
> or even downright dangerous. Has anybody had experience with any
> particular generics? Any recommendation as to what to get or what to avoid?

Buy from a reliable source like B&H if you go off brand.

> Also, I have seen some of the Minolta NP-400 batteries labeled as being
> for the Dimage A1 and A2, and others as advertised for the A1, A2, 7D,
> and 5D. For example, Amazon lists both, but the A1-A2 version is $5
> less. I assume these are exactly the same batteries, and that some that
> were made before the 7D and 5D came out just don't refer to them. Is
> that correct?

Yep, as long as it is the NP-400.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
September 19, 2005 12:39:58 AM

Mark Cutler wrote:
> I just bought a Konica Minolta 7D and wanted to get some spare batteries
> (NP-400). I see plenty of generic lithium batteries at about 1/3 the
> price of the Konica Minolta version. From what I have read in general, I
> gather that some generic lithium batteries can be as good as the
> manufacturer-supplied version, but some cheaply made ones can be weaker
> or even downright dangerous. Has anybody had experience with any
> particular generics? Any recommendation as to what to get or what to avoid?
>
> Also, I have seen some of the Minolta NP-400 batteries labeled as being
> for the Dimage A1 and A2, and others as advertised for the A1, A2, 7D,
> and 5D. For example, Amazon lists both, but the A1-A2 version is $5
> less. I assume these are exactly the same batteries, and that some that
> were made before the 7D and 5D came out just don't refer to them. Is
> that correct?
>
> Mark Cutler

After spending a chunk on a 7D, which came with one battery, a second
brand battery was a no-brainer. Don't think I'll ever need more.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer wrote:
> Mark Cutler wrote:
> > I just bought a Konica Minolta 7D and wanted to get some spare batteries
> > (NP-400). I see plenty of generic lithium batteries at about 1/3 the
> > price of the Konica Minolta version. From what I have read in general, I
> > gather that some generic lithium batteries can be as good as the
> > manufacturer-supplied version, but some cheaply made ones can be weaker
> > or even downright dangerous. Has anybody had experience with any
> > particular generics? Any recommendation as to what to get or what to avoid?
> >
> > Also, I have seen some of the Minolta NP-400 batteries labeled as being
> > for the Dimage A1 and A2, and others as advertised for the A1, A2, 7D,
> > and 5D. For example, Amazon lists both, but the A1-A2 version is $5
> > less. I assume these are exactly the same batteries, and that some that
> > were made before the 7D and 5D came out just don't refer to them. Is
> > that correct?
> >
> > Mark Cutler
> >

> After spending a chunk on a 7D, which came with one battery, a second
> brand battery was a no-brainer. Don't think I'll ever need more.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

I don't have a Minolta.
I have the Canon Digital Rebel.

EverReady makes a battery for the Digital Rebel. It seems to last
longer then the Canon Batteries.

roland
September 19, 2005 1:30:59 PM

When you get a good feel for the 7D can you do a review on it here? I am
looking to buy one but not sure whether to wait or just bite the bullet and
get one now. Did you wonder whether you could get more megapixels by
waiting until next year?
I think you should be able to get good cheaper generic batteries as a few
other brands of camera manufacturer use the same battery type and I'd doubt
if there was no market for them.

"Mark Cutler" <mecutler@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a Konica Minolta 7D and wanted to get some spare
> batteries (NP-400). I see plenty of generic lithium batteries at about
> 1/3 the price of the Konica Minolta version. From what I have read in
> general, I gather that some generic lithium batteries can be as good as
> the manufacturer-supplied version, but some cheaply made ones can be
> weaker or even downright dangerous. Has anybody had experience with any
> particular generics? Any recommendation as to what to get or what to
> avoid?
>
> Also, I have seen some of the Minolta NP-400 batteries labeled as being
> for the Dimage A1 and A2, and others as advertised for the A1, A2, 7D,
> and 5D. For example, Amazon lists both, but the A1-A2 version is $5
> less. I assume these are exactly the same batteries, and that some that
> were made before the 7D and 5D came out just don't refer to them. Is
> that correct?
>
> Mark Cutler

Anonymous
September 25, 2005 2:57:35 PM

Jasen wrote:

> When you get a good feel for the 7D can you do a review on it here? I am
> looking to buy one but not sure whether to wait or just bite the bullet and
> get one now. Did you wonder whether you could get more megapixels by
> waiting until next year?

http://www.aliasimages.com/Max7Drev.htm

I suspect that K-M will come out with a less cropped, 10 to 12 Mpix DSLR
in the next year or so. Minolta have been quiet about developments
(historically).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
September 27, 2005 3:57:28 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D h6dsa$g5o$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Jasen wrote:
>
> > When you get a good feel for the 7D can you do a review on it here? I
am
> > looking to buy one but not sure whether to wait or just bite the bullet
and
> > get one now. Did you wonder whether you could get more megapixels by
> > waiting until next year?
>
> http://www.aliasimages.com/Max7Drev.htm
>
> I suspect that K-M will come out with a less cropped, 10 to 12 Mpix DSLR
> in the next year or so. Minolta have been quiet about developments
> (historically).
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

Read your review, very interesting reading. You sound like a seasoned
professional, but do you think this camera would be fine for someone who
considers themselves as a serious amateur (come apiring semi-professional
starting out on a modest budget) who wants to concentrate on wildlife,
nature/macro and travel photography with some people shots thrown in?
cheers
Jasen
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:57:29 AM

Jasen wrote:

> Read your review, very interesting reading. You sound like a seasoned
> professional, but do you think this camera would be fine for someone who
> considers themselves as a serious amateur (come apiring semi-professional
> starting out on a modest budget) who wants to concentrate on wildlife,
> nature/macro and travel photography with some people shots thrown in?

Thanks for your comments, but I'm not a professional, I just like
photography and do a lot of it.

The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
cameras since the mid 90's: Put the controls out where they're of use
to the photographer (not in menus). Because of this, these cameras are
well suited to pros and to serious amateurs. They can be run from full
manual to full P&S (and everywhere in between) as you may require

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
September 28, 2005 2:05:33 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D h95ih$cf5$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Jasen wrote:
>
> > Read your review, very interesting reading. You sound like a seasoned
> > professional, but do you think this camera would be fine for someone who
> > considers themselves as a serious amateur (come apiring
semi-professional
> > starting out on a modest budget) who wants to concentrate on wildlife,
> > nature/macro and travel photography with some people shots thrown in?
>
> Thanks for your comments, but I'm not a professional, I just like
> photography and do a lot of it.
>
> The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
> cameras since the mid 90's: Put the controls out where they're of use
> to the photographer (not in menus). Because of this, these cameras are
> well suited to pros and to serious amateurs. They can be run from full
> manual to full P&S (and everywhere in between) as you may require
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

No worries Alan.
What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of mine
in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without parting
with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or if
that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
damn decent camera for amateur use.
what are your thoughts?
cheers
Jasen
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 2:05:34 AM

On 2005-09-27 05:05:33 -0700, "Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au> said:

> What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of mine
> in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without parting
> with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
> whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
> affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
> it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or if
> that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
> damn decent camera for amateur use.
> what are your thoughts?
> cheers
> Jasen

That's the right plan.I bought a 7D in the last two weeks and love
being able to use all my Minolta lenses and 5400 xi flash with it. You
can do an awful lot with 6 mp. If you sit around waiting for 10, by the
time it comes out you will think you need 15. It is just like computers
- there will always be something better and cheaper next year, but if
you keep waiting you will never have one. The 7D has a $200 rebate
going through the end of the year (at least in the US) and that makes
it a very attractive buy.

Mark Cutler
September 29, 2005 4:32:58 AM

> On 2005-09-27 05:05:33 -0700, "Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au>
said:

> > What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of
mine
> > in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without
parting
> > with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
> > whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
> > affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
> > it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or
if
> > that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
> > damn decent camera for amateur use.
> > what are your thoughts?
> > cheers
> > Jasen
>
> That's the right plan.I bought a 7D in the last two weeks and love
> being able to use all my Minolta lenses and 5400 xi flash with it. You
> can do an awful lot with 6 mp. If you sit around waiting for 10, by the
> time it comes out you will think you need 15. It is just like computers
> - there will always be something better and cheaper next year, but if
> you keep waiting you will never have one. The 7D has a $200 rebate
> going through the end of the year (at least in the US) and that makes
> it a very attractive buy.
>
> Mark Cutler

Thanks Mark, that's very helpful. We have a $AU300 rebate equivalent to
about $US225 but our version is a tad more expensive out here is Australia.
cheers
Jasen
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:09:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in
news:D h95ih$cf5$1@inews.gazeta.pl:

> The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
> cameras since the mid 90's:

And suffers the same fate of having a significantly smaller selection of
available lenses compared to Canon and Nikon systems, as well as the same
proprietary flash mount which limits the selection of 3rd party external
flash units.

September 29, 2005 9:05:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In (Konica) Minolta's defence, all the best third party flash vendors
support the proprietary mount, including Sigma, Metz and Sunpak, so what's
the problem?

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"Lionel" <imagenoir@down.under> wrote in message
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in
> news:D h95ih$cf5$1@inews.gazeta.pl:
>
>> The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
>> cameras since the mid 90's:
>
> And suffers the same fate of having a significantly smaller selection of
> available lenses compared to Canon and Nikon systems, as well as the same
> proprietary flash mount which limits the selection of 3rd party external
> flash units.

September 30, 2005 12:09:13 AM

Lionel wrote:

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in
> news:D h95ih$cf5$1@inews.gazeta.pl:
>

>>The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
>>cameras since the mid 90's:
>

> And suffers the same fate of having a significantly smaller selection of
> available lenses compared to Canon and Nikon systems, as well as the same
> proprietary flash mount which limits the selection of 3rd party external
> flash units.

The large proportion of people who spout that line do not have any high
end investment in the Canon/Nikon glass that they are defending, and
very, very few can match my Minolta set for performance or value.

It's been and remains a non-starter.

The Minolta wireless flash system came out ahead of Nikon's (not sure
about Canon). It works fine, thanks. Sigma and others offer compatible
flashes in any case. Current Canon and Nikon flashes have so many
proprietary hooks that the claim to a "standard" is little more than hot
air.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 12:17:51 AM

Jasen wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:D h95ih$cf5$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>
>>Jasen wrote:
>>

>>>Read your review, very interesting reading. You sound like a seasoned
>>>professional, but do you think this camera would be fine for someone who
>>>considers themselves as a serious amateur (come apiring
>
> semi-professional
>
>>>starting out on a modest budget) who wants to concentrate on wildlife,
>>>nature/macro and travel photography with some people shots thrown in?
>>
>>Thanks for your comments, but I'm not a professional, I just like
>>photography and do a lot of it.
>>
>>The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
>>cameras since the mid 90's: Put the controls out where they're of use
>>to the photographer (not in menus). Because of this, these cameras are
>>well suited to pros and to serious amateurs. They can be run from full
>>manual to full P&S (and everywhere in between) as you may require
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Alan.
>

> No worries Alan.
> What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of mine
> in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without parting
> with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
> whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
> affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
> it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or if
> that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
> damn decent camera for amateur use.
> what are your thoughts?

For all prints up to 10x15, the camera is fine. With more advanced
image processing, that could be pushed somewhat. I would bet at 24x16
it would be reasnable (125 dpi print) if not viewed too closely.

Yes, recomending the 20D is indeed popular. It's a sure bet to please
anyone and a lot of real pros (as opposed to pretenders) use the 20D all
day long. I played with one briefly in Florida earlier this month and
enjoyed it. (haven't received the photos come to think of it).

There is no guarantee what Minolta will or won't do. They are deeply in
3rd or 4th place in DSLR's. A pro I know just told me that he's buying
a second 7D as a backup to replace his backup zlr.

You could opt for a less expensive Maxxum 5D in the meantime. Same
sensor as the 7D, so image result should be the same. Ergonomically
crippled, alas, but functionally every bit as good. If the 10/12 Mpix
Minolta does not show then you could seguee to Canon or the others...

Cheers,
Alan.
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
!