Building first time gaming PC.

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Dear Members,

I'm looking to build a gaming pc from scratch, on my own for the very first time. Here are the products I'll be ordering. I really need your suggestions and guidance so that I won't end up buying the wrong stuff and regretting later. I'm from India, so I'm looking to buy all products from Flipkart (www.flipkart.com)

Cabinet: Cooler master HAF 912
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Processor: Intel Core i5 – 3570K
PSU: Corsair TX650 650Watts Power Supply
Graphics: MSI Radeon 7850 or 7870 or any other variants (gigabyte, sapphire, etc.) suggested by you.

I’m confused regarding the PSU because I can’t find proper reviews from users on google. Will that be sufficient to power up all the components I have (including a DVD ROM). I might add a sound card later on as I use my computer for music composition as well.

All help is much appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

Your parts are reasonable.

You are OK on the psu.
It is the graphics card that drives the psu power you need; all the rest is minor and included in the recommendations from this table:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
You are also OK on the quality, according to this list.
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

See if you can't fit a 120gb or larger SSD into your budget. It makes everything run quicker.
120gb should hold the os and a handful of games. Add a hard drive later if you need to expand.
With a 240gb ssd, you may never need a hard drive at all.

If you are planning on overclocking the "K", I suggest a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan. Something like the cm hyper212.

You probably want a sata dvd burner also.

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your reply Geofelt. I'll take that SSD you mentioned into consideration. I'll be planning on overclocking maybe after a year or two, for which I'll try to go in for a liquid cooler. What do you suggest?
Oh, and I forgot to mention the RAM (Corsair vengeance 4gb x 2) and a DVD Rom.

Thank you once again mate.

Thank you so much for your reply Geofelt. I'll take that SSD you mentioned into consideration. I'll be planning on overclocking maybe after a year or two, for which I'll try to go in for a liquid cooler. What do you suggest?
Oh, and I forgot to mention the RAM (Corsair vengeance 4gb x 2) and a DVD Rom.

Thank you once again mate.

8gb of ram is right for a gamer.
But buy low profile ram so it will not impact any cpu cooler.
1.5v ram does not need any heat spreaders at all; they are mostly marketing.

I would not recommend a liquid cooler.
They are expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better than a good air cooler in a well ventilated case like yours.

The hyper 212 or a similar one like the Xigmatek would do just fine.
I would buy it up front if possible.
I hate to take apart a working pc to install a cooler later.

austin707

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
8gb of ram is right for a gamer.
But buy low profile ram so it will not impact any cpu cooler.
1.5v ram does not need any heat spreaders at all; they are mostly marketing.

I would not recommend a liquid cooler.
They are expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better than a good air cooler in a well ventilated case like yours.

The hyper 212 or a similar one like the Xigmatek would do just fine.
I would buy it up front if possible.
I hate to take apart a working pc to install a cooler later.

Oh dear, I didn't know that about a liquid cooler. Thank you for that info Geofelt. Then, as per you suggestion, its better to buy an aftermarket air cooler right in the beginning itself right? Alright, I'll check out the one you've specified.

Thanks again mate.

TRENDING THREADS