Sign in with
Your question

I will pay $180 to anyone who can solve this problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2012 9:25:20 AM

I just paid $180 for this new GPU, because I was told by people on this forum that it would solve my screen tearing problems. So naturally I'm willing to paypal that same amount if someone can PLEASE SOLVE THIS. I CANT BELIEVE HOW RIDICULOUS THIS IS.

Over five weeks of research and tests, here are my findings:

Symptoms:
- Literally everything is affected. Games, Youtube, DVDs. I can even draw something in MS Paint, select it all, and move it around, and the tearing will be absolutely atrocious.
- I have tried every possible combination of VSync / Triple Buffering settings within D3DOverride and the Catalyst Control Center. I have tried setting them for all programs or specific ones.
- Fraps says the max frame rate is 40. I also tried to set max frame rate as low as 5 which STILL HAD TEARING
- My usual set up is 2x Monitors with DVI cables @ 60 Hz refresh. I have also tested an HDTV with an HDMI cable.
-Taking video with software such as manycam or fraps, or taking a screenshot, does NOT capture the screen tearing affects (even thought I can easily reproduce CONSTANT screen tearing)

I have a video I took from my phone to show what it looks like. Youtube ruined the quality of the video so I uploaded it to Mediafire. I'm not sure If I'm allowed to post it.

$180 to the first person to post the solution. Oh and if you tell me I need to buy something you better be able to prove it this time, this forum has already mislead me into buying this gpu.

More about : pay 180 solve problem

a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 10:01:04 AM

The first question to ask is, did you have this problem with the old graphics card?.
The second one is can you make a list of all the hardware in the system/ motherboard/cpu/memory. And also the two monitors you are using including the screen size of each. You are asking to solve a problem for you with information missing. The cause may not be down to the card at all. But more information is needed to rule out any other part of the system causing the problem also.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 10:10:36 AM

First step is to uninstall all your video drivers, and use a *cleaner* utility to remove any remnants. Verify all your chipset drivers are up to date, and reinstall your video drivers.

m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 10:22:28 AM

First of all, could you give us a link where our forum member recommended you to buy a new graphics card to fix tearing problem? Google says you've made only two other threads on this forum, and in neither people recommend you buying another GPU to fix tearing.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/381734-15-constant-...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/381416-15-graphics-...

Anyway, that looks like software problem. As Wisecracker said, you should reinstall drivers first. If that doesn't help, I'd look into reinstalling windows.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 10:41:21 AM

Otayzilla said:
this forum has already mislead me into buying this gpu.

Could you provide the evidence of that please because other than your disregard of the forum rules I can't see where you were forced into buying anything.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 11:21:04 AM

why isn't CUDA enabled...?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 11:23:30 AM

dingo07 said:

Because it's not an Nvidia card? :whistle: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 11:25:30 AM

dingo07 said:

Since when did a AMD/ATI card have CUDA? AMD does not use CUDA so it would never be enabled on that card! A can't really offer any more help than what has already been said.
m
l
December 20, 2012 11:41:14 AM

try uninstall Ati tray tools or others 3rd party gpu software. I have the same experience with that problem before...
m
l
a c 118 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 12:21:19 PM

Otayzilla said:
http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b9/b997687c_ar7.png

I just paid $180 for this new GPU, because I was told by people on this forum that it would solve my screen tearing problems. So naturally I'm willing to paypal that same amount if someone can PLEASE SOLVE THIS. I CANT BELIEVE HOW RIDICULOUS THIS IS.

Over five weeks of research and tests, here are my findings:

Symptoms:
- Literally everything is affected. Games, Youtube, DVDs. I can even draw something in MS Paint, select it all, and move it around, and the tearing will be absolutely atrocious.
- I have tried every possible combination of VSync / Triple Buffering settings within D3DOverride and the Catalyst Control Center. I have tried setting them for all programs or specific ones.
- Fraps says the max frame rate is 40. I also tried to set max frame rate as low as 5 which STILL HAD TEARING
- My usual set up is 2x Monitors with DVI cables @ 60 Hz refresh. I have also tested an HDTV with an HDMI cable.
-Taking video with software such as manycam or fraps, or taking a screenshot, does NOT capture the screen tearing affects (even thought I can easily reproduce CONSTANT screen tearing)

I have a video I took from my phone to show what it looks like. Youtube ruined the quality of the video so I uploaded it to Mediafire. I'm not sure If I'm allowed to post it.

$180 to the first person to post the solution. Oh and if you tell me I need to buy something you better be able to prove it this time, this forum has already mislead me into buying this gpu.

Hi - I read the two threads Sunius posted and I fail to see where anyone on here "mislead" you to purchase that gpu.
If you have another thread that shows the situation let us see it please.

Tom

With that said, I looked at my gpu z6.6 readout (I have a 7800 series), I don't know if either of these will
make a difference, but:

update the driver version to 12.11 (might still be beta, but it is latest driver and works well for me)
and remove the check from the open cl box. There a couple of other minor value differences most
likely due to the differences in our two cards.

m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:02:22 PM

toyftw said:

and remove the check from the open cl box.

users cant remove those checks, its just a way for the program to tell you what extra features work with the card. And apparently you dont have the openCL package installed... :kaola: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:19:48 PM

Otayzilla said:
http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b9/b997687c_ar7.png

This line right here tells us a lot about the problem. If you cannot capture a graphical issue in a screenshot/video, then the issue is not in the video cards rendering or memory. Since you've already replaced your GPU, I highly doubt you've gotten two cards with defective output controllers or anything of that nature, though it's conceivable that drivers could cause an issue there.

Question, if you cap your framerate to 1FPS, do you see tearing at a higher rate? (I would like to see the video you posted, forum rules don't prohibit external links)

On the topic of being mislead: it's unfortunate that you've bought somehthing you didn't need, however your problem is very odd, I would have expected a new GPU to fix the issue you had (because you were able to test with different monitors and different cables, and still see the issue). (For what it's worth, I read your other two posts, and I don't see anyone recommending a new GPU to you, other than when you asked for a new GPU recommendation explicitly, but no big deal imo.)

edit: I'm a bit curious if you saw any difference at all in the 'way' your screen was tearing when you switched GPUs? Also, does the entire screen tear if you are watching a youtube video (not in full screen mode), or do you only see tearing in the video? If you have no browser open, does the tearing stop?
m
l
December 20, 2012 1:21:37 PM

If all fails I suggest a clean windows install (providing you can do this). This will give you a clean slate to start with.

Mike.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:29:51 PM

Check and make sure the refresh rate on the monitor is set to specs and that the resolution and refresh rate matches via CCC as well.

I think the problem lies in the monitor or rather a mix of both monitor and gpu settings.

**reading through your previous topics and you having issues with no post trying to use IGP is indicative of a faulty board.**

Anyone that want to know his specs:

http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2010/gateway/fx/fx...

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?t...
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 1:47:03 PM

In windows you do have aero enabled right? because that gives hardware acceleration to the desktop and should remove any tearing.

Please ensure that you have hardware acceleration enabled in flash. Right click and video select settings.

MSPaint does not seem to work well when moving sections around quick anyway.
m
l
December 20, 2012 1:51:13 PM

i had something about the same it would happen when i would play any move in vlc or in you tube and some times in games. ended up putting a new power supply in and that fixed it. maybe you know a buddy that you can ask and try and barrow there's see if that helps. i have a 5770 core 2 quad and a p35 chip set
m
l
December 20, 2012 2:13:51 PM

your problem definitely doesn't seems to have anything to do with windows or drivers or software.
It seems you are overlooking a possible hardware issue, not a faulty hardware but an issue with how things are connected.
make sure your gpu is propperly seated in it's slot and that everything that in involved with your display is connected propperly.
If you haven't changed or tried a new dvi cable then do that!

I wonder if you have some sort of device in your house that somehow is affecting your display. just a thought :-)
m
l
December 20, 2012 2:15:21 PM

You would want to pinpoint where the problem is by process of elimination.

Things to try (from easiest to hardest, imo):
1) see if driver is bad (try uninstall and reinstall latest official driver)
2) see if motherboard is bad (try using onboard video)
3) see if DVI/HDMI cable is bad (try using different cable)
4) see if monitor is bad (try using different monitor)
5) see if GPU is bad (try using a different GPU)
6) see if RAM is bad (try using different RAM)
7) see if PSU is bad (try using different PSU)

Question:
What is your GPU temperature? (idle and max load)
m
l
a c 118 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 2:23:11 PM

Smartd said:
your problem definitely doesn't seems to have anything to do with windows or drivers or software.
It seems you are overlooking a possible hardware issue, not a faulty hardware but an issue with how things are connected.
make sure your gpu is propperly seated in it's slot and that everything that in involved with your display is connected propperly.
If you haven't changed or tried a new dvi cable then do that!

I wonder if you have some sort of device in your house that somehow is affecting your display. just a thought :-)

I'll 2nd the try a new dvi cable,a few months ago, I thot I had a bad monitor,
turned out to be a bad dvi cable
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 2:29:25 PM

How hot is your CPU? GPU?
m
l
December 20, 2012 2:42:02 PM

Oh wow sorry, I posted on so many forums that I mixed up which one had mislead me. My biggest apologies on that one. Reading this the next day I realized I sound terribly rude.

I will grab all the answers to the questions asked, give me a minute.
m
l
December 20, 2012 2:47:41 PM

Do you happen to have virtu mvp and msi afterburner installed? if you do have both, try uninstalling Afterburner.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 2:51:02 PM

Disconnect the HSF from your motherboard. Clean it and the CPU. Reapply thermal paste, then reconnect the HSF.

Also, I laugh at the people that are doing this for the $180 incentive.
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 2:59:57 PM

I'm about ready to pay $180 to make this go away.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 3:20:32 PM

click start type dxdiag and hit enter
after it is done running click save all info and select your desktop to save it
open the text document and post the results.
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:26:07 PM

MY LAST GPU ATI Radeon HD 5700
POWER SUPPLY: Gateway FSP450-60EP
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Gateway, FX6840. 8 Gigs of memory.
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU, 860 @ 2.80GHz - 2.80 GHz
SYSTEM TYPE: 64 bit
GPU HEAT: 50 C seems to be the maximum temp when running my heavier graphics demanding stuff
CPU HEAT: The max I have seen which running heavy software is 52 C, average seems to be 40 C
MONITOR RESOLUTIONS: 1600x900 and 1600x1200 (If you need the resoluion of the HT TV I had mentioned, I can try to get that too. Let me know)

In response to specific questions or checks:
I confirmed that the refresh rate and resolution of my monitors matches what is in my CCC
When I switched GPUs, the way that the screen tears was not affected
When the screen tears (outside of full screen) the entire screen is not affected, just the video
My hardware acceleration is enabled in Flash

My questions:
Can someone direct me toward a specific "cleaner" for removing old driver stuff?
Also I have no idea what Aero is. Please tell me how to check / modify whether it is enabled (I tried a google search and found stuff that seemed unrelated)
How do I use a "IGP" to test for a faulty board? That sounds very helpful.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 3:42:28 PM

If you could post your video of the issue, that would be helpful.

You can test the IGP by opening your BIOS config during startup, and finding the Onboard Video option (or something of that nature), it's probably set to auto or disabled; try to enable it, and attach your monitors to the mobo. You may need to remove your GPU to get it working.

I'm a bit surprised at your responses to my questions; in a streaming video, if the only thing tearing is the video itself (and not the entire screen), then I am suprised that you cannot capture this in a video (or screenshot). I'm not certain, but I think those two conditions should be mutually exclusive.
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:51:18 PM

For the video of the tearing:
www.MediaFire.com/?h0lg9eb35p7ct3g

Since I can't find any onboard video option in my BIO/CMOS, I have typed out EVERY option in BIOS/CMOS so that you can try to find something I overlooked:

> Product Information

> Standard CMOS Features
> >System Date
> >System Time
> >AHCI Port1 [Hard Disk]
> >AHCI Port2 [ATAPI CDRom]
> >AHCI Port3 [Not Detected]
> >AHCI Port4 [Not Detected]
> >AHCI Port5 [Not Detected]
> >AHCI Port6 [Hard Disk]
> >Halt On [All, but keyboard]

> Advanced BIOS features
> >Quick Boot [Enabled]
> >Quiet Boot [Enabled]
> >1st Boot Device [HDD0-WDC WD10EAR]
> >2nd Boot Device [CD/DVD1-ATAPI DV]
> >3rd Boot Device [USB:Generic- Compa]
> >4th Boot Device [LAN]
> >Hard Disk Drive Priority
> >Optical Disk Drive Priority
> >Removable Device Priority
> >Network Device Priority
> >Bootup Num-Luck [On]
> >USB Beep Mesage [Disabled]

> Advanced Chipset Features
> >Intel EIST [Enabled]
> >Intel Tubo Boost [Enabled]
> >Intel XD Bit [Enabled]
> >Intel VT [Enabled]
> >Memory Hole Remapping [Enabled]

> Integrated Peripherals
> >Onboard SATA Controller [Enabled]
> >Onboard SATA Mode [AHCI]
> >Onboard USB Controller [Enabled]
> >Legacy USB Support [Enabled]
> >USB Storage Emulation [AUTO]
> >Onboard Audio Controller [Enabled]
> >Onboard LAN Controller [Enabled]
> >Onboard LAN Option ROM [Disabled]

> Power Managment Setup
> >ACPI Suspend Mode [S3 (STR)]
> >Deep Power Off Mode [Enabled]
> >Power On by RTC Alarm [Disabled]
> >Power On by PCIE Devices [Disabled]
> >Power On by PCI Devices [Disabled]
> >Wake Up by PS/2 KB/Mouse [Enabled]
> >Wake Up by USB KB/Mouse [Enabled]
> >Restore On AC Power Loss [Last State]

> PC Health Status
> >Smart Fan [Enabled]

>Frequency/Voltage Control
> >Clock to All DIMM/PCI/PCIE [Disabled]
> >Spread Spectrum [Enabled]

> Bios Security
> >Change Supervisor Password

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 3:55:50 PM

/sigh work doesn't like media fire so I'll have to watch at home later.

I don't see any IGP settings, does your mobo have a VGA/DVI/HDMI connector on it (or is your CPU a sandy-bridge cpu? it may not be if your PC is 3 yrs old, you may not actually have an IGP)
m
l
December 20, 2012 4:00:08 PM

nbelote said:
Disconnect the HSF from your motherboard. Clean it and the CPU. Reapply thermal paste, then reconnect the HSF.

Also, I laugh at the people that are doing this for the $180 incentive.

LOL.

Well add an incentive and you get all the help that's available. :D 
m
l
December 20, 2012 4:02:10 PM

IDK what a sandy-bridge cpu is but I do have a VGA that is specifically from my MOBO
m
l
December 20, 2012 4:05:58 PM

the great randini said:
click start type dxdiag and hit enter
after it is done running click save all info and select your desktop to save it
open the text document and post the results.

http://pastebin.com/9P010bs5
m
l
December 20, 2012 4:25:17 PM

after watching the video the issue is close but not exactly like mine was your psu is too week that 450 was the min requirement for the 5750 and its below what the 7850 wants "500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended"from ati (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...)

if you know some one with a bit bigger power supply try it
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 4:26:48 PM

The i7 860 does not have onboard video at the time, only lower end lynnfield cpus had it. Even if you have the ports for it, they will not work. Point in case.

back end of an H55 board(my media center), the onboard video will NOT work with its i5 750 cpu either.

http://ark.intel.com/products/41316/Intel-Core-i7-860-P...

I just downloaded your video. it really DOES look like vsync. this is strange.

Guru 3d's driver sweeper went out of support long ago. then it was by Phyxion.net(same program new "owner"), then they released a new software(and almost what looks like a new company. I do not know the limitations on the software as the old one was just FREE) to replace it.
Ahhh here
http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion#free-features
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 4:29:18 PM

^
Was thinking the same, but then again, wasn't that the time of transition from motherboard graphics to CPU graphics? Maybe the motherboard has the onboard?

Of course, if it doesn't, it explains why he doesn't get a video and why there are no mention of it in BIOS.
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 4:35:32 PM

Lynnfield chipsets(LGA 1156) that allowed onboard HAD to come from the cpu(H55 at the time).

Again. damn that video looks like a vsync issue, but 40fps, he should have better then that i would think.
m
l
December 20, 2012 4:52:28 PM

nukemaster said:
MSPaint does not seem to work well when moving sections around quick anyway.

I forgot to respond to this. When I move a picture in MSPaint, the screen tearing affect is precisely the same as it is in the video I posted, which is definitely not typical MSPaint sloppyness.

Also I was watching the video of the screen tearing earlier, and I had screen tearing while watching the video. Double screen tearing is the worst nightmare I have ever encountered, and I hope you never lay eyes on such a terrifying sight.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 5:08:29 PM

liquidpower said:
after watching the video the issue is close but not exactly like mine was your psu is too week that 450 was the min requirement for the 5750 and its below what the 7850 wants "500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended"from ati (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...)

if you know some one with a bit bigger power supply try it

Wanted to highlight this, liquidpower makes a good point. You have a ~3 year old 450w PSU driving a 7850. It may or may not be the cause of your issue, but it may cause you other issues now or in the future (instability while gaming most likely, but it could just fail outright) since you are driving it pretty hard. Be warned that power supplies can cause damage to other components when they fail (depending on how they fail, and what protections the PSU has against overcurrent/overvolt and such).

If you can afford to spend the money, it maybe worth it to invest a bit of money in a new power supply; but I would definitely try to find a loaner that you can use to troubleshoot if you don't want to buy something you don't need.

edit: This is a good deal for a PSU that would work for you, if you are interested in buying a replacement: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and here is a review of the PSU: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 6:23:27 PM

Otayzilla said:
I forgot to respond to this. When I move a picture in MSPaint, the screen tearing affect is precisely the same as it is in the video I posted, which is definitely not typical MSPaint sloppyness.

Also I was watching the video of the screen tearing earlier, and I had screen tearing while watching the video. Double screen tearing is the worst nightmare I have ever encountered, and I hope you never lay eyes on such a terrifying sight.

It was 100% normal back in the Windows 95 days(SG Virge 3D). We also had a early LCD TV that does it(very noticeable(VGA in, so maybe it was just that input was worse) on games, not too bad on TV). I feel your pain, just do not know what is causing it. You seem to have done through LOTS of "fixes" with little success.

For sure try to borrow a PSU just in case.
m
l
December 20, 2012 6:41:38 PM

1. I would do a fresh install of the video drivers (i'm sure you already tried this)

2. Look in the motherboard BIOS to make sure you have all the appropriate settings for your pci-e slots or try resetting the bios to defaults.

3. Check your device manager and make sure you have all the right drivers for your devices. Even your monitors have drivers.

It's either going to be motherboard, graphics card, or software related. Anything else is highly unlikely. You already eliminated the graphics card, so you need to look into the motherboard and drivers a little more closely.
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 6:48:18 PM

POST A PICTURE OF THE INSIDE. NEED GOOD SHOT OF THE MOTHERBOARD
m
l
December 20, 2012 6:54:06 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I'm about ready to pay $180 to make this go away.

lets be honest here. he isnt going to send anyone $180 in paypal.
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 7:00:16 PM

jonjonjon said:
lets be honest here. he isnt going to send anyone $180 in paypal.

i guess only you thought he would.....................

picture of inside of case please.................
m
l
December 20, 2012 7:10:13 PM

What monitors are you using? Are you sure it's tearing and not just some sort of ghosting? (I haven't watched your vid, but I might when I'm not at work.)
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 7:24:41 PM

Niavlys77 said:
What monitors are you using? Are you sure it's tearing and not just some sort of ghosting? (I haven't watched your vid, but I might when I'm not at work.)

Look at the videos. It's tearing. Severe one.
m
l
December 20, 2012 7:40:46 PM

swifty_morgan said:
i guess only you thought he would.....................

picture of inside of case please.................

how do you interpret me saying the op isn't going to send anyone money into me thinking he would?
m
l
December 20, 2012 7:45:33 PM

Sunius said:
Look at the videos. It's tearing. Severe one.

Okay, yup that's tearing. Not sure what to do with this one, so I'm out.
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 7:58:55 PM

jonjon please stop spamming the thread.

OP.............. PLEASE......... post pic of motherboard.

m
l
!