Best heatsinks for Ivy Bridge

letrollface5000

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hello, I was wondering if you guys know any heatsinks for the 3570k or 3770k OTHER then the the hyper 212 plus/evo. I will probably get one of those two but i wanted to know if there is anything else out there

also, what heatsink would be ok for a locked cpu such as a 3550?

thanks in advance

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
It depends on how aggressive you want to be in your overclock. All indications are that Ivy Bridge gets hotter than Sandy Bridge when voltage is bumped up. If you plan on an overclock with no voltage bump or a very small voltage bump, the hyper 212+ or Evo should do very nicely. If you want to do an overclock with a large voltage bump something like the Noctua NH-D14 or NH-C14 are very good. The Zalman CNPS9900MAX is also very well regarded (and pretty cool looking, IMO).

Past that there is water cooling, TEC cooling, Phase Change cooling, Liquid Nitrogen cooling, and Liquid Helium cooling. But those are all fairly extreme, with prices to match.

As far as the locked chips, depending on your case's airflow and ambient temps, the stock cooler may be sufficient. The Hyper 212+/Evo will both be more than sufficient for locked chips.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Hyper 212+ with either a 2nd fan, or 2 Ultra Kaze's attached will likely yeild an inexpensive, yet very effective cooling solution.

What case are you running? You have to have space to fit a good tower cooler.

CM HAF or something like that...

storminthenorman

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
The heatsink you choose will depend on what you will overclock you cpu to. If you buy a "locked" processor, the stock heatsink & fan combo will do just fine, but might be a bit loud at load. If that's the case, just get a hyper 212+ and if you can, slap on a quiet fan.

If you're overclocking to 4.3-ish the 212 will be sufficient, temps around 75-80 is ok because Ivy Bridge is more resistant to heat, but just be careful if they go up to ~85. Even up to 4.5, the hyper 212+ will be alright, depending on voltage. Its not clock speed that generates heat, but voltage. You can get up to 4.5ghz on around 1.2v, but anything more and you need a better cooler or a push-pull config on your 212.