INTERNET WAR WITH ROOMMATES, I REQUIRE AID BRETHREN!!

thhetopham

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
:fou: PLEASE HELP!!! I am a raider. I know some of you know what this means. Troll me all you want, but my internet connection is VITAL TO MY SUCCESS ONLINE!!

The last week, my roomates have discovered netflix. THIS IS DESTROYING MY GAMING EXPERIENCE. I cannot play games where my ping goes from perfect 30ms to building by 1000 ms every second all the way up to 30k then back to 30 ms again. THIS IS TERRIBLE!!! They are also using P2P programs....

AHHHH enough about all that, I need HELP. They will not negotiate with me on using times for the internet. I told them anytime is fine except while I am raiding, yet they do not respect this request. As network admin, its time for me to have my nerd victory and limit bandwidth for their devices.

I am up against a xbox, android phone, and 2 laptops. I am the only one hardwired to the router, the rest are all WIRELESS.

I am using a linksys e3000. Can anyone help me? has anyone conquered this problem in their own home or frat? HELP A FELLOW NERD OVERCOME THE JOCKS WITH KNOWLEDGE PLEASEEEE!!!!

Well, right off the bat I'd get into the router's wireless properties and lock it into 802.11b only. They will have a max throughput of 11Mbps. Don't go with 802.11a, it's much faster. If you have just 802.11 as an option, that is best in your case as it is only 2Mbps. (all on the wireless side, the wired side will remain at full speed).

Or, get a router that supports traffic shaping and give yourself about 90%.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
You should be able to use your computers MAC address to set your connection as highest priority, alternatively, you could use the MAC addresses of all of the other devices in the place and have those set on lowest priority. If all else fails, lock the connection down to 802.11b like tigsounds previously stated.