Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

[Help] First build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 4, 2013 3:26:07 PM

Hi i'm looking into building PC for gaming (WoW, DayZ, WarZ, Skyrim, Call of Duty etc) and using Photoshop and browsing too. I'll be using two monitors and will have the PC for a long time. This is what I got so far:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor - £165.14
Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H Motherboard - £149.72
Memory: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R 8GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 Vengeance Memory - Red - £43.14
Storage: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive - WD1002FAEX x2 - £140.00
SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - £99.98
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX670 Nvidia Graphics Card Power Edition - £305.98
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Gaming Tower Case - Black - £124.99
Power Supply: XFX Pro 750W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply - £82.99
Optical Drive: LiteOn IHES112-115 Internal 12x SATA Blu-ray Bulk Combo - Black - £61.99
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - £64.98


Everything adds up to £1238.91. I'd like to bring it under £900-1000 if possible. Could anyone recommend any good suggestions of parts what I could change out for something else to bring down the price?

More about : build

February 4, 2013 3:42:33 PM

Well this setup is pretty balanced. The only thing is the power supply, which is overkill. Getting a cheaper 500w-600w one would only save you 20-30 pounds though. You could also opt for a smaller case because that one is pretty expensive and over the board.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 3:53:59 PM

Here, this would be good..

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BrXI
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BrXI/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/BrXI/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.80 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£105.96 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£85.42 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £954.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-04 17:53 GMT+0000)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 3:56:08 PM

Sefirosu said:
Hi i'm looking into building PC for gaming (WoW, DayZ, WarZ, Skyrim, Call of Duty etc) and using Photoshop and browsing too. I'll be using two monitors and will have the PC for a long time. This is what I got so far:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor - £165.14
Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H Motherboard - £149.72
Memory: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R 8GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 Vengeance Memory - Red - £43.14
Storage: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive - WD1002FAEX x2 - £140.00
SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - £99.98
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX670 Nvidia Graphics Card Power Edition - £305.98
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Gaming Tower Case - Black - £124.99
Power Supply: XFX Pro 750W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply - £82.99
Optical Drive: LiteOn IHES112-115 Internal 12x SATA Blu-ray Bulk Combo - Black - £61.99
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - £64.98


Everything adds up to £1238.91. I'd like to bring it under £900-1000 if possible. Could anyone recommend any good suggestions of parts what I could change out for something else to bring down the price?



If you don't plan to overclock, get a h77 motherboard, also that psu is overkill for the system, ditch the bluray drive.
My suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.80 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£69.24 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.82 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£305.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £872.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:07:37 PM


@Azn Cracker - Ok, i'll swap the PSU to - Antec High Current Gamer 620W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £64.99

@larrym - From looking at many reviews the MSI GTX 670 seems better than the EVGA GTX 67, i'd like to stick with that. I'd really like to have the B-RAY drive too. I think I'll go with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.80 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£105.96 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX670 Nvidia Graphics Card Power Edition (£305.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£85.42 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: LiteOn IHES112-115 Internal 12x SATA Blu-ray Bulk Combo - Black - (£61.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)

Is the Gigabyte Z77X not worth the extra cash do you think?
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:11:28 PM

Sefirosu said:
@Azn Cracker - Ok, i'll swap the PSU to - Antec High Current Gamer 620W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £64.99

@larrym - From looking at many reviews the MSI GTX 670 seems better than the EVGA GTX 67, i'd like to stick with that. I'd really like to have the B-RAY drive too. I think I'll go with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.80 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£105.96 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX670 Nvidia Graphics Card Power Edition (£305.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£85.42 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: LiteOn IHES112-115 Internal 12x SATA Blu-ray Bulk Combo - Black - (£61.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)

Is the Gigabyte Z77X not worth the extra cash do you think?


It would be more worth it if you got a CPU that was unlocked..like the 3570K
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 4:19:26 PM

Get the asrock pro 4 mvp, it's a standard motherboard with more features, not so much expensive.
The xfx 550W will do, it's a seasonic oem unit, no need to spend more.
The corsair 300R is a good option, more than enough space for the parts you listed.
In my opinion it's not worth spending more on a ssd, you won't notice the speed differences between the m4 and samsung.
There's cheaper ram and hdd out there, the seagate constellation es is a good hdd, as reliable as it gets, in the other parts, like in usa, it more than 170$.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:19:37 PM

@djangoringo - Should I go with the i5 3570k as larrym says?
Why the G.Skill Ripjaws instead of Corsair Vengance?
Why not the blu-ray drive? I'd like to watch blu-rays :p 

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 4:23:11 PM

Do you plan to overclock the cpu ?
Either way the i5-3470 is fine, it won't bottleneck the 670 gtx.
The g.skill is as good as the corsair but it's cheaper, i know just 1£ more lol.
Well if you buy bluray discs then get the bluray drive.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:28:56 PM

They are all good suggestions and you will save a lot. I have the XFX 550, and it's a nice PSU. The Seasonic is a modular one if your looking for easier cable management (but not necessary). Now you just have to decide what to get.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:29:27 PM

I don't plan on it, no
Ok so its not worth the extra £20 or so for the i5-3570k? If not I wont bother, but if it is I dont mind paying it
Okay i'll get the g.skill :p 
Yeah I buy blu-ray discs I think im gonna get the blu-ray drive :) 
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:35:43 PM

It's not just the higher cost of the 3570K, the MB will be more (Z77) and then the cost of a after market cooler as well for the OC. So by the time your done (if going to a 3570k) it will be ~100 more pounds.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 4:39:43 PM

If you don't plan to, you don't need it, the i5-3470 has the same performance as the i5-3570k at stock.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 4:43:16 PM

Ok guys,
I'm gonna go with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.80 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£69.24 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.82 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£305.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Optical Drive: LiteOn IHES112-115 Internal 12x SATA Blu-ray Bulk Combo - Black - £61.99
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)

Also, will this PC be able to run dual monitors both at 1680 x 1050 just fine?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 4:57:56 PM

It's all good, it will run, but for gaming it's either a single or a triple monitor setup.
Also if your monitor resolution is just 1680 x 1050, the 670 GTX is way overkill, i'd get the 660 gtx, if it's your maximum res.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 5:13:24 PM

Ok, I will look into the 660 GTX. I've also decided I might overclock the CPU in the future so I'm just gonna go with the i5-3570k.

So here:

CPU: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (£165.14 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£69.24 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.82 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£305.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)

All good and will work together?
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 5:18:57 PM

You will have to get a z77 Mother board and a after market cooler. For conservative overclocks, the CM Hyper 212 evo is really nice. Also, The AsRock extreme 4 is a good MB with 3570k.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 5:26:56 PM

Sefirosu said:
Ok, I will look into the 660 GTX. I've also decided I might overclock the CPU in the future so I'm just gonna go with the i5-3570k.

So here:

CPU: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (£165.14 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£69.24 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.82 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£305.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)

All good and will work together?



You need a z77 motherboard, a good one is the asrock extreme 4, and for a cooler the hyper 212 evo.
You might drop the 670 gtx if your monitor resolution is bellow 1080p, and get either the 660 ti or 660 gtx.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 5:31:40 PM

I think I will stick with the 670 because I might get new monitors some time in the future as well.

So... I think we have it:

CPU: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (£165.14 @ Amazon UK)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard (£101.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.82 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£305.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£67.99 @ Aria PC)
Total = £955.83

All good and compatible guys?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2013 5:34:14 PM

Yes, it's fine now.
Share
February 4, 2013 5:35:45 PM

Thanks Azn, larrym and djangoringo for all the help.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 5:40:41 PM

Best answer selected by Sefirosu.
m
0
l
!