Mopar_Mudder

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Ordering up a P4 2.0 Northwood and Asus mother board.

But I can not make up my mind on Rambus -vr- PC2400 DDR?

Either way I am going with 512mg, it seams their are alot of opinion out their, and it is hard to know what to believe.

The primary area of performance I want is video editing with Media Studio, I am leaning toward RDram as it seams to be "made" for the P4, but I am open to suggestions.

FatBurger

Illustrious
You do realize that it's dependant on the motherboard you buy, right?

Go with RDRAM, Asus P4T-E or Abit TH7-II.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope, the i850 is still the best chipset for the P4.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I would have to agree with FatBurger on this one. The bus architecture was meant for a P4-RDRAM union.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, the Asus P4B266 seems to be quite a good board, but keep in mind, DDR now costs more than RDRAM!

DDR would perform much lesser than the upcoming PC1066 RDRAM, would need a board that will support DDR333 or better DDR400 to compete with RDRAM. the P4B266 I guess would do it, overclocking the chipset.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Why are you suggesting DDR for a P4 setup? "well, the Asus P4B266 seems to be quite a good board,"

That makes no sense...

Also, if he wants to build a system today, why are you talking about future memory types that won't be supported today? (You might as well talk about whats on the DDRII, QDR, and QDRII thread which won't come out until the fourth quarter of this year.)

Sorry if the sarcasim is too harsh for a Friday morning. I just hate it when people take a thread where the question has been answered and then go on tangents.

<b>"I'll have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich." - Fletch</b> :lol:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
rdram is "healthier" for the P4...even though i dont like rdram...
anyways...get the P4T-E.

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad:

G

buy rdram is cheapo now like 170$
p4 need rdram for survive

FatBurger

Illustrious
juin, is that you?
Oh, sorry. Just a case of mistaken identity.