Sign in with
Your question

New rig and new problems

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2013 4:42:19 PM

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Video card: XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

I'm having some difficulties with my new rig, the computer is labored by opening and loading webpages let alone it's intended purpose, gaming. I know this isn't the proper forum for my problems but I'm here asking whether this PSU can supply the power needed for this rig. I also bought the CPU with the intent at overclocking and it's unstable at any setting no matter how mild (intent is 3.6 *maybe* 3.8GHz).

This rig is only a month old and things have degenerated slowly. Even after installing Windows 8 onto this pure hdd I've had problems, for example, the mouse acting unreasonably erratic.

Initially I found that cool n quiet and c1e being on were the culprits to this problem but it persists but only with similar events like scrolling my mouse over a lot of information/flash webpage buttons/???. It can be reproduced by opening all the days in IE history folder, all days open, and rolling the mouse over these.

I'm almost positive my first tweak in bios, which was manually setting all the RAM timings, was before the pure install or the very next reboot after that install. I didn't just change it to 9-9-9-24, I went onto changing every numerical value that was unlocked when I set the timing input from auto to manual. The fill-in values used were from the spd side of the spd/auto column. I'm almost positive I started overclocking my cpu and cpu-nb with these RAM values.

Any information could be useful so:
- I've noticed that hwmonitor doesn't save the previous lows and highs of multiple start ups that it used to.
- Sometimes while I'm reading a webpage the window will deselect, I can tell because of the border color changing from darker to lighter.
- I'm running Windows 8 but geared for keyboard/mouse, no touching.
- my psu fan is never on, it's supposed to be a v.2 of this psu line and has a thermal function that only kicks the fan on under heavy loads but I've never heard it kick on or seen it while I've played Chivalry except at start up which is supposed to let you know that the psu hasn't gone bad (so I hear).
- More but can't recollect.

More about : rig problems

February 4, 2013 6:28:03 PM

What makes you think that way F-Word. Labored as in sluggish, long load times, jerky mouse movements, ect. There's an inspiron 570 with an Athlon 2 X2 250 cpu that's running smoother and faster than my rig.
m
l
February 4, 2013 6:48:02 PM

Before I dive in and reseat the sata and power I ran through defragment then to WD data lifeguard. No problems found, low defragmentation.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 4, 2013 7:41:57 PM

Have you checked how much the cpu/memory are being loaded and temps of various parts in your pc? You can use task manager and core temp. If things look okay, I would look towards drivers, the BIOS and then to a reinstall. That is still a powerful rig, even by today's standards (I just sold a rig very similar to it) and should not be lagging what so ever, unless you are running pro apps that take a lot of power and time to complete tasks.
m
l
February 4, 2013 8:49:53 PM

@ Maestro I live in the northeast and the computer is in the basement which chilly but not freezing, and hwmonitor shows no temp problems.

@F-word: reseted the cables and no help.

I'm doing a clean install of windows 8 now, the second time around I only ran a refresh from the cd. When I had reset bios/cmos and refreshed windows everything worked fine until I turned off c1e and cool and quiet, then things went back to the way it was. I didn't overclock or undervolt, all I did was turn off c1e and cool n quiet. I didn't play a game before I turned them off so I don't know how they would've effected full load.
m
l
February 4, 2013 10:34:48 PM

check the mb bios. download the newest drivers from the mb vendors web page.
m
l
February 5, 2013 2:31:08 AM

Well I'm back and *knock on wood* it's running now. Seems like I was right about the timings change I made before the very first install of windows 8, it led to a crumby install that windows 8 refresh couldn't fix. I reset the bios to optimal default then wiped the drive and reinstalled 8. Running prime95 atm testing an overclock @ 3.8GHz[1.4v] CPU and 2.4GHz[1.225v] NB. I ran this overclock on planetside 2 in server genuidine on high with 50% rendering at 30-20fps inside bases, CPU is still bottlenecking my card : / I understand that multiplayer games can't be used as a benchmark but maybe this could help anyone else sifting Tom's forum. I'll update on what I'm getting at what time(s).

*off topic* Which CPU would be better for gaming, and if, by what margin? (965BE or fx 6300)
m
l
February 5, 2013 2:32:46 AM

@ maestro0428 + smorizio I thought about the bios being the culprit too so I previously bumped up to 1.7, 1.8a is available but I don't know what to expect from a beta and hopefully never having to fiddle with the dual bios.
m
l
!