Sign in with
Your question

Playing games (low FPS)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2012 2:38:23 PM

Hi (im new here, so i don't know if this is the right location to ask the question)

I recently bought the Sapphire HD 7850 OC version. But when i want to play a game, i sometimes get a low FPS on games.
Sometimes i have no problem with gaming, BF3 on 50fps on Medium.
But sometimes i get 20fps on medium. I really don't know what the problem is.

My specs are:
CPU: AMD Black Edition FX 4100
GPU: Sapphire HD 7850 OC version
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Samsung 830 - 128GB
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz
MSI 990FXA-GD65

More about : playing games low fps

December 20, 2012 2:41:54 PM

chect your system temps. if ur cpu is overheating its slowing itself down to lower the temps and that will impact your performance and fps in games
December 20, 2012 2:43:59 PM

Rikvdlee said:
CPU: AMD Black Edition FX 4100

That's probably a lot of the problem. BF3 is much more demanding of the CPU than most games. Shooters in general are, especially online multiplayer. Try overclocking it, you should see fewer and less severe dips in framerate.
Related resources
December 20, 2012 2:46:08 PM

I also play Arma 2 sometimes, and the problem is still the same. On the motherboard i can automatically overlock my CPU. It is now running at 4,05ghz instead of 3,6ghz. I did that a week ago, but i don't see a lot of difference
December 20, 2012 3:52:26 PM

run prime 95 to stress test your cpu and run core temp to see your temeratures. dont overclock on stock cooler as the stock one is designed for stock cpu speeds. report back with idle and load temps using prime 95....run prime 95 for at least an hour to get accurate load temps
December 21, 2012 2:44:15 PM

Rikvdlee said:
I also play Arma 2 sometimes, and the problem is still the same. On the motherboard i can automatically overlock my CPU. It is now running at 4,05ghz instead of 3,6ghz. I did that a week ago, but i don't see a lot of difference

Automatic overclocks aren't usually a good idea. In order to consistently work on all chips, they have to use considerably more than the minimum voltage. This makes your chip run hotter than it needs to. I've seen some boards that will set the voltage to the maximum safe voltage for minor overclocks.

If you want to overclock, you really should do it yourself. You'll get a higher overclock and lower temperatures.
!