Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DVL-919 region free player

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:54:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hello,

I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make it
region free in order to play UK or US LD.

thanks for your response
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:30:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

....I'm sure you meant "...to play UK or UD DVD's" because there are no
region coded LD's

Klaus

<grille11@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:426b5e9c$0$1121$afc38c87@news.easynet.fr...
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make
it
> region free in order to play UK or US LD.
>
> thanks for your response
>
>
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:08:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

<grille11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:426b5e9c$0$1121$afc38c87@news.easynet.fr...
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make
it
> region free in order to play UK or US LD.
>
> thanks for your response
>
>
There are no region codes on LD's, so that is never an issue, but no you
can't play PAL LD's on an NTSC player. There are a few European models that
will play both NTSC adn PAL, but the 919 is NOT one of them AFAIK. It
probably needs to be chipp modified for region-free DVD playback, but again,
it may not handle PAL disks so it would be pointless.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:50:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

There are several different variants of the final Pioneer LD player

DVL-919 (black) - US version - Region 1 NTSC Only
DVL-919 (champagne) - Hong Kong - Region 3 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
DVL-919 (champagne) - Japan- Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
DVL-919E (champagne) - UK - Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
DVL-919E (champagne) - Australia - Region 4 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD

Several of these are 'capable' of being set as region free, but I've
no details about making them so.

I'm sure there are some other variants, but these are the one's I've
seen.

Blaine

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:08:00 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:

>
><grille11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:426b5e9c$0$1121$afc38c87@news.easynet.fr...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make
>it
>> region free in order to play UK or US LD.
>>
>> thanks for your response
>>
>>
>There are no region codes on LD's, so that is never an issue, but no you
>can't play PAL LD's on an NTSC player. There are a few European models that
>will play both NTSC adn PAL, but the 919 is NOT one of them AFAIK. It
>probably needs to be chipp modified for region-free DVD playback, but again,
>it may not handle PAL disks so it would be pointless.
>

Blaine
blam1@oz.net
http://www.blamld.com
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:52:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Oops. Made an error here. The DVL-919 from Japan DOES NOT play PAL
LDs or DVDs.

Sorry for the confusion.

Blaine

On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:50:59 -0700, Blaine Young <blam@oz.net> wrote:

>There are several different variants of the final Pioneer LD player
>
>DVL-919 (black) - US version - Region 1 NTSC Only
>DVL-919 (champagne) - Hong Kong - Region 3 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
>DVL-919 (champagne) - Japan- Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
>DVL-919E (champagne) - UK - Region 2 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
>DVL-919E (champagne) - Australia - Region 4 - PAL & NTSC DVD/LD
>
>Several of these are 'capable' of being set as region free, but I've
>no details about making them so.
>
>I'm sure there are some other variants, but these are the one's I've
>seen.
>
>Blaine
>
>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:08:00 GMT, "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote:
>
>>
>><grille11@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:426b5e9c$0$1121$afc38c87@news.easynet.fr...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just purchased a DVL-919 and I'd like to know if there is a way to make
>>it
>>> region free in order to play UK or US LD.
>>>
>>> thanks for your response
>>>
>>>
>>There are no region codes on LD's, so that is never an issue, but no you
>>can't play PAL LD's on an NTSC player. There are a few European models that
>>will play both NTSC adn PAL, but the 919 is NOT one of them AFAIK. It
>>probably needs to be chipp modified for region-free DVD playback, but again,
>>it may not handle PAL disks so it would be pointless.
>>
>
>Blaine
>blam1@oz.net
>http://www.blamld.com

Blaine
blam1@oz.net
http://www.blamld.com
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:14:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Blaine Young" <blam@oz.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:si9j71tm1ke0emf4alcst553244q6olaou@4ax.com...
> Oops. Made an error here. The DVL-919 from Japan DOES NOT play PAL
> LDs or DVDs.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Blaine
>

To add to the confusion, I have a Hongkong DVL-909 which plays both NTSC and
PAL DVD's but only NTSC LD's. Whether this applies to 919's, I don't know.

kp
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:53:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I thought all NTSC DVD decks could play PAL also, can't they ? At least
my Pioneer DV-S838A, a purely Japan domestic (therefore NTSC) DVD deck,
can apparently play PAL DVDs as well, though by lack of a PAL
compatible display all i can get out of a PAL DVD on this deck is
proper sound, and an unsynched image.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:51:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Not all US R1 DVD Players will play PAL, but it its becoming more and
more common in recent years. Not sure about the high end models
though. I have a Pioneer DV270 player in my computer room and it
plays PAL as well as outputs it to my NTSC TV so I can actually watch
it properly, however the unit is not region free. Anyone know if I
can make that unit region free? I am looking to purchase a Pioneer
Elite DV-59AVI, and would like that to be region free as well.

I think the players being able to play/display PAL & NTSC started in
Europe years ago.


Ed


On 6 May 2005 05:53:23 -0700, "n$a" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote:

>I thought all NTSC DVD decks could play PAL also, can't they ? At least
>my Pioneer DV-S838A, a purely Japan domestic (therefore NTSC) DVD deck,
>can apparently play PAL DVDs as well, though by lack of a PAL
>compatible display all i can get out of a PAL DVD on this deck is
>proper sound, and an unsynched image.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:46:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"n$a" <nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:1115384003.154679.315760@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I thought all NTSC DVD decks could play PAL also, can't they ? At least
> my Pioneer DV-S838A, a purely Japan domestic (therefore NTSC) DVD
> deck,
> can apparently play PAL DVDs as well, though by lack of a PAL
> compatible display all i can get out of a PAL DVD on this deck is
> proper sound, and an unsynched image.

No, that's only true of some players, not all. Many NTSC DVD players
just won't play a PAL disc at all, regardless of region code.
!