Cooling For GTX 580 SLI

Dan_334

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hello,
I have a GTX 580 and i plan to purchase another and make it SLI, looking at it there is not going to me much of a gap separating them, i have 4 120mm fans around the case, i have my CPU Liquid cooled, my GPU at the moment has a Idle Temp of 36 degrees and Gaming around 44 degrees at maximum. What do you think would be a good cooling if i get another GTX 580, and if it is needed?
Thanks

G

What is the case? What resolution you play at? How many monitors? What games you play?

Also how much is the 2nd GTX 580 going to cost you?

It might be better to just buy a powerful single card with the cash, depending on your answers to the above questions.

Dan_334

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
I have the Obsidian 650D , Usually at 1920x1080p, Just one 27" Asus, And stuff like Gta 4, BF3 and a few others along the same lines, i'm looking on new egg and the 'EVGA 03G-P3-1584-RX GeForce GTX 580' looks good to me and retails at around £215 not bad. Yeah i see what you mean, hopefully with some of these specs you'll be able to answer.

G

SO thats about $350 US dollars. I would recommend getting a 7970. You get 3 free games, and it can be overclocked and will be good for a few years to come.

Something like this would be good. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Just sell the 580 on ebay or something like that to put towards the card.

EDIT: If you are an nvidia kind of person, you can get a 670 like this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130802

Dan_334

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Thanks for your suggestion, it's given me an idea on what i could do with it. So you think it would be a better choice to just get a more recent card than SLI?

Yeah i am more of a nvidia guy actually haha, so a card like a 670 does look quite good for me, what do you think i could sell the GTX 580 i have now for? it's just a regular SC nvidia branded one.

G

I would check the ebay site for your country and gauge the price. On the eBay site here in the US, they are around 275 USD. So in that general range.

And yes 1 single more powerful card is better than SLI/CF. You wont have heat issues, no need to maintain 2 cards, possible frequency issues, etc.

Dan_334

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Yeah i'll have a browse around now and see what the prices are, but 275 USD seems like a good amount probably come in at around £165.00 so it seems a good price.

Ah right, yeah considering all those things are being taken on.. gives more disadvantages than advantages in the long term.

Anyway, thanks for your help! much appreciated.

G

You're welcome. Good luck in your hunt for a new graphics card :)

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

For the love of god, ignore every single thing this guy has told you.

"You wont have heat issues, no need to maintain 2 cards, possible frequency issues, etc"

Two card, run a small bit warmer but your max temp is already 45C so that will not be a problem with two cards.
Maintain card? You pop them in and play, it's not a car!
FREQUENCY ISSUES? Are you serious? What the hell does that even mean?

Do NOT spend $425 on a "more powerful card" to get 15% more performance.

It's a damn GTX 580, if you feel you need an upgrade from THAT card. Then you should SLI the thing. Get 88% more performance for a CHEAPER price!

The only "issue" you should have to worry about, is if you really think your current GTX580, a top of the line card, can't output enough FPS and warrants an upgrade. And whether or not your PSU will support that upgrade.

**I am absolutely ASTONISHED by yarmock trying to say you should upgrade to a card that is barely faster than your current card, at a significantly higher price point. As well as coming up with things such as the possibility of "frequency issues"

Dan_334

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Oh well thanks for making me this clear, considering this was my original idea after all haha. And yeah 'frequency issues' i thought things like that were for radio's? or such hahah. As you can tell i'm not the most experienced guy out there about these things, from what your telling me it should be fine, i was really worried about the temperatures and if it would be to much of a problem, so that's good to know the temps should be okay.

And i have a 1000w PSU so.. that should be good enough right?

Also if i did say wanted any more cooling for the case, what would you suggest just a couple more fans here and there?

More than enough and as someone who is currently running two SLi rigs I would like to know more about these "issues" that yarmock reckons you are going to have.

I've always found SLi to be problem free, yes you are going to use more power and therefore produce more heat but still things will be nowhere near the kind of horror stories that the likes of yarmock would have you believe.

Avenged7x

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Glad to see others have stepped in to this discussion before you spent considerable money on a very minor upgrade.

I can't speak on SLI, some have had issues with micro-stutter while others have not.

However as per Tom's GPU hierarchy chart - the GTX 580 is only one tier below the GTX 670 and they recommend that you go at least 3 tiers higher to get a worthwhile upgrade. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Although the GTX 580 is not the latest generation GPU, its still a beast of a card.

I'd also be surprised if you could sell the used 580 for $275 US, as a brand new card with similar performance and warranty (660Ti) can be had for that kind of money.

That chart does not take SLi into account as it only deals with single cards and as such is not really appropriate for this situation is it?

Avenged7x

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

No the chart doesn't mention any nVidia SLI configurations. I was just providing it to show that the 670 was a very minimal upgrade over the single 580.

I can't speak on multi GPU configurations, but based on that chart the Crossfired AMD cards seem to provide a 4 tier jump over the same single card - so I would hazard a guess that SLI would offer comparable results.

The 6xx series is quite a leap over the 5xx series insofar as gaming is concerned but they fall short in the computing arena, SLi'd GTX580's would outperform a single GTX670 though.

G

Geez don't burn me at the cross guys!

Frequency means if he has a card at say 900 MHz and pops in one running at 780 MHz, it will scale down, unless i am mistaken.
Maintenance means having to clean out 2 cards now, usually more frequently.
Heat? Yes there will be more, you can't seriously say there won't be.

And I never tried to scare him away or told "horror" stories. The price he said for the 2nd 580 was the same as a 670/7970. So not sure where you got $420 from.

Also his cards are limited to 1.2GB of VRAM. Newer games running at ultra would require more than this.

You can disagree with my stance, but don't make up lies.

And yes he can sell his 580 on eBay for $250+, people still want to SLI them or buy older tech at a discount.

Sure 2 580s will give him better fps in most games, but if its over 60 it doesn't really matter, and they aren't very future proof, especially if he upgrades his resolution ever.

I didn't bother to clean my 560's until I moved them into a different rig a year and a half after I got them and they haven't suffered any misfortunes because of that (neither did the 8800GT's or 7900GT's before that).

G

I didn't say he'd suffer anything, but if his house has a pet, or is a little dusty like mine, it could cause an issue possibly. But, for the same price I don't see why he would SLI a last gen card with limited vram and futureproofness (yup just made that up). Its what I would personally do, I'm assuming, unless his 580s are defective, he can max (or come close) most games out currently, so why add another one in for single monitor and 1080p?

The OP is asking about adding another 580 to SLi with their existing one, no mention of already having two that are defective.

G

You misread what I said, maybe I could have made it more clear, I was saying unless his 580 is defective he can max out most games he plays. So why upgrade for $350, with nowhere near $350 worth of a performance increase.

redeemer

Distinguished

Just keep you 580 and add another one do not get a 7970 or 680, there no point. Yes your 580's will eat power and run hot but that they way it is when you run multiple gpus. GTX 580 SLI is still provides monsterous graphical power, just turn up the fan profiles and add a 140mm or 120mm fan blowing at the back of your cards.

BUT look at the charts related to this a 590 is still top of the line, 2 580 will tear "shot" up... the performance can not be matched at the price you quoted for the new card..... even if you sell the 580 for the same price as the new one then you have 430 bucks/pounds/euro/kablinky nothing can be purchased that will out perform the 580's in SLI, feel free to wait for the next series of cards and this will still be true. The load temps are so low you could simply throw the next GPU on the same WC line and there would be no real issue